Lounger
    Thanks

VB errors open and closing Excel

When I start up MS Excel, I get an error:

Microsoft Visual Basic: Compile error in hidden module: AutoExecNew

When I exit from Excel, I get another one:

Microsoft Visual Basic: Compile error in hidden module: DistMon

Yesterday, Excel worked fine. Today, I'm getting these errors. To the best of my knowledge, no new software has been installed, and I scanned both my local drives and the network template directory for viruses.

Also, it turns out that I'm not the only one here at the office that's getting these errors: everybody I've talked to that has tried Excel today gets them.

Any ideas? I've got a call in to our corporate help desk, but frankly, I don't expect much out of them.

Dan

PS. See the attached file for the two error messages.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: VB errors open and closing Excel

Find your XLStart directory and move everything out of it. If you still get the error (which I think you will), then you will have to find your Alternate Startup Directory (pointed to in the Tools/Options dialog box on the General tab). This probably points to a network directory that contains the file that is causing the problem. That directory is most likely protected, and you can't move the stuff out of it. You will need to get your technical support people to find out which file in there is causing the problem. Since everyone is having the problem, I suspect that the support people installed something that put a file in that directory that is causing the problem.

If the error does not happen after removing the files from your XLStart directory, then put them back one at a time until you find the one causing the problem.
    Legare Coleman

Lounger
    Thanks

Well, there was only one file in my XLStart directory, that was a zero-byte file named MSCREATE.DIR. Removing it didn't help. My Alternate Startup Directory is not set to anything, so there's no help there.

One of our help desk guys just now came and told me that there's a file either missing or corrupt on the network drive where Excel is installed. But they don't know which file, and they don't know if it's missing or corrupt.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll keep you updated when I find out anything.

Dan

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I ran into a MSCREATE file when they installed Groupwise 5.0 on our sustem. It turns out that Groupwise 5 trys to take over some aspects of Excel's functioning in some way. One we cleared the XLstart directory, our problems ceased. I wass then able to put my Personal.xls file back in XLstart and I never had anymore problems of this type. I can't swear, however, that the messages we were getting were the same.

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, y'all. Our support people still don't know what the problem was, but they restored the Office directory on the network from a backup tape, and now everything works again. They seem to not care what the problem was as long as they can get rid of it. Rather than prevent it from happening again, they're satisfied knowing that they can fix it if it does recur.

Oh, well.