Lounger
    Thanks

Mail Redirecting In Exchange

Hello All And Thanks In Advance For Replies To This Post.

I need to know, generally speaking, if Exchange/Outlook is capable of the following:

I want mail that is sent to a general address (i.e. info@thecompany.com) to go to my in-box UNLESS I am out of the office, in which case I want it to redirect to the second in line UNLESS she is out of the office, in which case I want it to go to the third in line and so on.

If that's not specifically possible, would it be possible (and easy) to temporarily redirect all mail sent to one address? So if I am going to be out of the office, I could "flip a switch" on the info@thecompany.com account that would direct it to some other address, and when I got back in I could flip the switch back so that it could come back to me.

Basically, I need a method by which mail sent to one specific address goes to whoever can handle it on that day.

I don't need to know how to do this, just whether Exchange is capable of it. We're not currently using Exchange, but we're thinking about it and this would be a factor in the decision.

Again, thanks for advice and information.

Frank

Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Mail Redirecting In Exchange

Rory,

Thanks, that's exactly what I needed to know.

>You could also simply give the relevant people access to the mailbox and then they would know to check if you are out fo the office etc.<

We considered this, but thought that it might lead to potential oversight, as the person actually responsible for checking the mail box on any given day might not realize it. We do a lot of unplanned/spur-of-the-moment field excursions, meaning I might be availeble to get mail in the AM, but be gone in the PM, etc. Keeping it straight as to who was due back in the office and who was gone for the day would get confusing. We're most comfotable with a scheme where each person would be in charge of their own schedule/inbox rules, and then the rules on the server would kick in to say "Well the first two people are gone, so the mail needs to be posted to the third in line". Sounds like Exchange can handle it in a variety of ways.

Thanks again.

Frank.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Just my opinion, but having a somewhat complex behind the scenes mail-forwarding rotuine that you have to trust to deliver mail to the correct person. What happens if someone leaves without turning on their Out of Office notifier?

Simplest thing, and possibly the most efficient would be to send it to a Public folder and have everyone set up there outlook to link to it.

Thanks

Hi Frank,
    You can do this with Exchange, assuming you set up the address as a separate account rather than just an additional email address on your account. Alternatively, you could set up out of office rules in Outlook to forward the email to the next person, who could have a similar rule in case they are out of the office etc. You could also simply give the relevant people access to the mailbox and then they would know to check if you are out of the office etc.
    Hope that helps.
    Regards,
    Rory

Microsoft MVP - Excel