Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Print guidance (2002)

I am going to be building a report that is used as an invoice for different accounts. There can be an many as 700 or more invoices at a time. Before I start doing this I'm looking for input on the best way to set this up and/or if the following is even possible. First, is there a way to print the invoices separately to a folder on the the users harddrive. They could be saved in .pdf format if that is possible. I know the user is not going to want to print each invoice separately. The reason I'm looking for a way to save them individually because the user will then be emailing them to the different accounts. The secon part of the question is, is there a way to automate attatching these files to email without having to do it 700+ times and if so, would I do it from Access or Outlook itself?

Thanks,
    Leesha

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Print guidance (2002)

You can output a report to a file and e-mail it using DoCmd.SendObject. This doesn't work with .pdf format, though - you can output to plain text, Word, Excel, snapshot and HTML. See <post#=438149>post 438149</post#> and <post#=275460>post 275460</post#> for examples.
    If you prefer .pdf format, you need software to create .pdf files, and you must control Outlook from Access using Automation. This is more complicated; if you search this forum for Outlook.Application, you'll find examples.

If you start sending e-mails from code (whichever method you use), you'll run into security problems - after a rash of mail viruses Microsoft decided to make automated sending of e-mail more difficult. See <post#=317048>post 317048</post#> for ways to get around this.

It might be a good idea to send the mails in batches of fewer than 700. Some ISPs limit the amount of mail that can be sent within a short period, to discourage spamming.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Hans,

Outputting to Word or Excel will be OK so that would handle the pdf issue. I hadn't thought of the security or ISP limits so I will keep that in the back of my mind (I'm glad I asked the question before automating this).

To clarify, so I'm clear. If the report contains 700+ separate invoices that will go to 700+ different addresses, what do I need to consider when building this so that the docmd.sendobject sends it as 700+ different word file to a folder vs one word file containing all the invoices?

Thanks,
    Leesha

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Never mind. I see that the links you sent will show me how to set this up to break into multiple files. I'll study this more closely.

Thanks!
    Leesha

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Docmd.sendobject allows you to attach a database object (e.g a report) in a specified format (e.g snapshot), but it does not allow the attachment of a file from outside the database.

So you can't do this in two steps - i.e. first save the invoice as a file in a specified folder, then use docmd.sendobject to send it to someone.

Outlook automation does allow you to do it in two steps, because it does allow you to specify a file as an attachment.
    Regards
    John