3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Corrupted Files Recovery (WinXP SP2)

Apparently my boot file became corrupted and the technician tried to backup as much as he could before formatting the HD but I lost 3 years of Outlook email (which was backed up weekly).

Does anyone have any recommendations of software that would help me recover the missing files which the tech said were corrupted and that's why he couldn't back them up?

Thanks

Re: Corrupted Files Recovery (WinXP SP2)

Do you mean the .pst file and your backups were corrupt?

If they were not copied before the format, I don't think you should hold out any hope.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you for getting back to me.

Yes, I meant the .pst and their backup files. Ironically, .pst files from 2000 and back were recovered.

Thanks

It sounds like maybe you're saying your "backups" were just backup copies of the .pst files on the same hard drive (rather than backups onto CDs or tape or some other separate medium).

I'm nothing remotely approaching an expert on hardware issues, but my understanding is that there are companies that recover data from bad hard drives and that lots of data can often be recovered -- for a price. To avoid shipping charges (and complications), you might see if there's anyone near you that offers that kind of service at an acceptable price.

On a going-forward basis (and you probably don't need to have anybody telling you this at this point), it's best to make regular backups of your important data onto other media. One of the great things about making backups onto CDs (for example) is that they're really cheap, so there's no reason not to save a long series of monthly backups. That way if a file you seldom use gets corrupted and you don't find out it's corrupted for, say, 7 months, you can go back to the 8-month-old backup and retrieve a good copy.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I have been quite successfull restoring files from (re)formatted drives, using File Scavenger ( http://www.quetek.com ) on an NTFS drive. It will not work on FAT or FAT32 drives though.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you for replyimg.

You're right about external backups - I've learned my lesson about that.

Eli