Thread: Random dialing

New Lounger
    Thanks

Random dialing

Just bought new desktop and laptop, both running windows XP home. Grandson & daughterinlaw installed 802.11g wireless router for us. We are a step above novice. Network works fine..can access desktop from laptop, dial internet etc. However, The desktop randomly dials our connection. We are using dial-up Internet (CoreComm). If I unplug the power cord for the router, the dialing stops. It doesn't always do it at start-up. It may be 45 min to an hr after start -up before it dials. When I disconnect, maybe an hour later..same thing.I ran spybot, fixed 21 problems, ran ad-aware,fixed 6 critical issues, and disabled autodial. All to no avail. Any ideas what might be causing this and how to correct it without leaving the router unplugged all the time? Thanks. Irv

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Random dialing

Welcome to the lounge.

Sounds like you have been infested with some sort of rogue dialler. Runing Spybot was a good idea, but you typically need to run multiple different tools to protect yourself from this stuff, each tool only has limited coverage. Have a look at <post#=296439>post 296439</post#> and try running a combination of the suggested tools.

I am going to move this post from the Networking your Home forum to the Spyware - AntiVirus - Safe Computing forum, as that is where we discuss this type of issue.

StuartR

Thanks

Re: Random dialing

Let's not assume the worst just yet... If you look at the Processes tab of the Task Manager dialog, do you recognize any programs that might legitimately want to access the Internet? For example, does your antivirus software want to connect at regular intervals? How about email software? One thing you can do is turn off automating dialing in Internet Explorer's Options dialog (Connections tab, I believe). Any program that uses IE or IE's settings then should not dial automatically.