Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

clean doc perform SaveAs crashes (OfficeXP SP3)

Hi there

I have a corrupt document. I open and repair the document in Word> Save the document.
    Each time I perform a Save As on the document it crashes ie the Microsoft send report window appears.

I thought I had cleaned up the document.
    When I perform the open and repair > the Show Repairs window displays & the following is listed:

Lists 1
    Lists 2
    Lists 3
    Lists 4
    Lists 5
    Lists 6
    Lists 7
    Lists 8
    Numbered Styles 1

Can i remove these styles or replace them with cleaned up styles.
    any ideas?
    many thanks Diana

Thanks

Re: clean doc perform SaveAs crashes (OfficeXP SP3)

I don't have much experience dealing with corrupt documents (probably only because I'm relatively new to Word), but since it's Sunday evening I'll give you my $0.02 while you wait for a more knowledgeable response...

If it were me I'd first save a copy of the document, so if the corruption gets worse and the document becomes unopenable or something, you can go back to the saved version.

Then I'd create a new blank document with all the necessary styles, and then I'd copy and paste everything from the corrupt document into the new document. The less text you try to paste at any one time, the less likely you are to bring over any corruption, so I'd try copying/pasting no more than 20 paragraphs at a time (maybe 10 if the document is relatively short).

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Re: clean doc perform SaveAs crashes (OfficeXP SP3)

hi thanks for that.

yes i ended up creating a new document from another 'reliable' template. (the heading styles formatting is different)
    manaully copied & pasted sections of text from the corrupt doc into the new clean doc.

then just tidy up the heading styles in the new doc to be compliant & look like the old doc.

painfully time consuming but it worked.

many thanks diana