Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Add field to backend table (2002)

Hi,

I need to add field [sales_rep] to a backend table in database [SSIS split tables_be.mdb]. The table name is [tblVisitReport] and the format is text. The backend table resides on N:SSISSSIS Split Tables.

I've searched some of the old stuff on the forum and have tried looking at stuff help but honestly its not only Greek to me, but I don't know where to begin. Can someone point me in the right direction? I'd do this manually but the database lies on multiple off site computers and I figure its about time I learn how to do this via code.

So, with that said, where do I start this new learning experience?

Thanks,
    Leesha

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Add field to backend table (2002)

The ALTER TABLE may be what you are after, however I cannot find it in the help, surprise, surprise.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

From Access:
    Help > Microsoft Access Help > Contents tab > Microsoft Jet SQL Reference > Microsoft Jet SQL Reference (yes, twice) > DDL (Data Definition Language) > ALTER TABLE

From the Visual Basic Editor:
    Type any Access-specific term in a module or in the Immediate window, for example DoCmd, then Press F1.
    Activate the Contents tab, then proceed as above.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the guided tour Hans.

I have used this command in the past, and was easily able to find in Access 97 help, but Access 2000 and beyond, ????????????

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I agree that you can only find things in the online help if you know what you're looking for, and often also where to look.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks to both of you! I'll hunt around. The hardest thing I find about Access is that it doesn't use the terminology that I lookup things in. I would never have thought to look under alter tables. I looked under everything you can think of. I did find some code in a book totally by accident, not by the index! God only knows if it will work but at least now I have leads as to where to start.

I'm sure to be back!

Leesha

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Hi,

I tried the following code which I got from "Beginnin Access 2002" by Suusman and Blackburn. The problem is that it blows up and I'm not sure why as I copied it from their code and inserted my table information:

Dim db As Database
    Dim tbl As tabledef
    Dim fld As Field

'Start by openning the database
    Set db = CurrentDb()

'Retrieve thetabledef object

Set tbl = db.tableDefs("tblVisitReport")

'Create a field. Set its properties. Add it to the tabledef
    Set fld = tbl.createfield("TestCode", dbtext)

fld.Size = 50
    fld.Required = False

tbl.Fields.Append fld

'Indicates creation was successful

MsgBox "The database was successfully modified."

End Sub

I put it on the click function of a cmd on a form. Since I copied the code (and I think I understand what its saying) I'm not sure what isn't defined.

Also, while I'm at it, eventually I want the code to actually do this for a table that is stored in a different database not .....set db = currentDb() and I'm not sure how to write that. But, I can tackle that after I figure out what is wrong with this code.

Thanks,
    Leesha

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

This code uses DAO, so you must set a reference to the Microsoft DAO 3.6 Object Library in Tools | References... (in the Visual Basic Editor).

If you want to operate on another database than the current one, replace

Set db = CurrentDb

with

Set db = OpenDatabase("C:TestBackend.mdb", True)

You must of course substitute the correct path and filename. The argument True means that you open the database exclusively.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Hans,

First thanks for the explanation and help on defining how to do this in a different database. It helps me to understand the why of what I'm doing so I'm not simply copying other people's code and can't replicate or adjust it down the line.

I set the DAO 3.6 but still get an error, although now in a different spot. The section highlighted is

fld.size = 5 and the error is "method or data member not found". I took out the line of code to see if that helped and then got the same error on the code fld.required = true

Leesha

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

This is because of an ambigouos declaration. Field can be a DAO object or an ADO object. An ADO field does not have a Size property. I always prefix all DAO and ADODB data types explicitly, to avoid confusion:

Dim db As DAO.Database
    Dim tbl As DAO.TableDef
    Dim fld As DAO.Field

(It's not strictly necessary for Database and TableDef, but it makes the declarations and their relationships clearer)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

That is perfect!! I am so tickled!

Thanks Hans,
    Leesha