Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

'Real Alternative'

Has anyone any experience of using this program as a substitute for the Really Horrible "Real Player"?

I'm particularly interested in how well it handles the "Listen Again" and "Listen Live" facilities offered by BBC Radio, so that I can avoid having to spend ages fighting the popups, attempted registry changes, and other annoyances perpetrated by RealPlayer...

Thanks!

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: 'Real Alternative'

I use RealPlayer Gold to listen to the files on the BBC web site. This version is reasonably bloat and popup free, but I can't find it on the http://www.real.com web site any more.

StuartR

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Stuart

In my case I find that "RealPlayer 10-5 Gold" is the version that gets downloaded when you are pointed to "the BBC player" through a set of labyrinthine pages where you have to hunt to find the "free" version. The one which the BBC documentation shows is "r1p-bbc-en-setup.exe", of which I have kept a version from June 2003. That still does popups and the rest...

Why on earth the BBC didn't go for Windows Media Player, I don't know.

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts

John,

Why not just give it a try? If you have Real Player installed, uninstall it first. Real Alternative is not a very big download. Simple to install and get running. It seems to work fine for me but I don't use it much as the sites I visit most seem to have WM capabilities.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks

You're forever complaining about Real Player so I don't doubt your claims, but I don't know why you should get 'popus and the rest' when using Real Player for BBC webcasts or whatever.
    I think the only time I'm 'forced' to use it is with streaming radio, otherwise I have the choice of RP or WMP.

Are you by any chance using it in stand-alone mode? I'm not, and have never had a pop-up to date with the free-version (available on this page).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: gif x.gif (5.6 KB, 0 views)