Star Lounger
    Thanks

#Div/0! (Excel 2003)

I am having a Div/0! problem. I attached a version of the problem in a generic example to illustrate. The short of it is that I cant get rid of the #Div/0! error when a lookup returns no result. Excel seems to think the result is zero, but any division calculation does not recognize the zero returned.

In the Animals tab I do lookups for various animals that are categorized in a different format. I have a Moose, which is not on my lookup reference table, so the VLookup returns zero as a value. However, cell D6 returns #Div/0! no matter what I do. I even have the traditional =IF (B6=0,0,(B6-C6)/B6), but that didnt help here. I also tried to make it "" so it would be blank, to no avail. Lastly, I tried conditional formatiing to mask the zero, but that didnt remove the error either.

I think the problem is that its not really zero- maybe its NULL, or "not found". Does anyone know what is happening here and how I can effectively get rid of the error?

Because of the nature of the real life problem, I cant just add "moose" to the lookup- in effect, I want to ignore values not found or returned.

Thanks!

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: #Div/0! (Excel 2003)

The value in B6 is not stored as a number. You can either modify the equation in D6 to:

<code><big>=IF(B6="0",0,(B6-C6)/B6)</big></code>

or change the array formula in B6 and remove the quotation marks from the 0 in the middle of the formula.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: #Div/0! (Excel 2003)

Well, that was easy- thanks!