Star Lounger
    Thanks

WIA is killing my Twain Driver (XP SP2)

I just bought a new computer running Win XP SP2; my previous experience is with Win 98 SE. When I try to scan from my Epson Perfection 1660 Photo scanner into Photoshop 7 using the TWAIN driver, Photoshop shuts down unceremoniously. Scanning using the WIA driver works, but my scanning options are severely limited. I've tried deleting the WIA driver as described in MS KB article #300462 and just installing the TWAIN driver from the Epson CD, but the WIA drivers are still there when I reopen Photoshop. I've tried disabling WIA in services.msc, but that doesn't seem to work, either.

How can I either get rid of the WIA drivers altogether or at least stop them from interfering with the TWAIN driver?

Thanks,
    Terry

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: WIA is killing my Twain Driver (XP SP2)

I don't understand why you think the WIA drivers are responsible for the failures. This sounds like the old TWAIN driver just isn't compatible with Windows XP.

Have you tried downloading the latest version of the driver from the Epson web site?

StuartR

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Stuart.

There was I time when I thought I understood what was going on. I disabled WIA and got Epson Twain 5 to work with Photoshop 7, or at least so I recollect. (It's been awhile.) However, I haven't been able to duplicate this subsequently.

I do have the latest version of Epson Twain 5 installed, and it does crash Photoshop, MS Photoeditor, Word XP, and WordPerfect 10, whether or not WIA is enabled. However, Epson Twain works with PaintShop Pro 8, even with WIA enabled. I'm at a complete loss as to why it would work with this one program and no others. Epson, of course, blames it all on Microsoft, but that was before I discovered that it works with PSP.

If you have any ideas about the cause of the problem, where I should look for help, or how I should approach Epson so that they can't blame it on MS (assuming it isn't MS's fault), I'd appreciate hearing them.

Thanks,
    Terry

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Strange, I have no idea why this would work with one programme and not others. If Epson support come up with an explanaiton then please share it with us.

StuartR

Super Moderator
    Thanks

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by DaveA on 06-Jun-05 08:05. Add note about new machine)</P>I have been using my 1660 since Windows XP first came out. I down loaded the drivers and ALL software updates from Epson and it works just like it did in 98. I have used the scanner with the Original release, SP1 and now SP2.
    Note, the link to the drivers above are the ones I am using.

Edit.
    I am now using a NEW machine VAIO 420, and all I did was install the above drivers and software that I down loaded for the original release of Windows XP.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

The fly in the ointment is the printer that came with my new system, a Dell AIO 922 that has a built-in scanner. As soon as I disabled the Dell scanner, the Epson TWAIN driver worked like a charm. I still don't know why the conflict wasn't manifested in Paint Shop Pro. Thanks to everyone for their replies.

Terry