New Lounger
    Thanks

Bookfold conversion macro (2002/SP3)

Hi, I know there are utilities such as ClickBooks and FinePrint that can automate MS Word page layout/pdf conversion from A4 portrait to SRA3 bookfold, but is it possible to have a dedicated macro instead of using third party software? As far as I can tell, the macro would need a virtual printer driver that allows the user to set up the SRA3 page size and have an page "imposition" function.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Thank you!
    Fiona

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Bookfold conversion macro (2002/SP3)

I'm not sure what SRA3 means, but try the Macro attached to <post#=420687>post 420687</post#> and see if it works for you. I tested it printing A5 booklets on A4 pages, so it might need some minor adjustments.

StuartR

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Stuart, thanks for your reply. SRA3 is like a super-sized A3 paper (320x450mm) which alllows printers to "bleed" images off the page size and then trim down to A3 (297x420mm). The problem that I have with setting up this page size is that most printers don't support SRA3 and therefore my template has only a very narrow area for content, according to what my A4 printer can actually print. Is it possible to use a virtual printer driver? Many thanks again. Fiona

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry, I don't have a solution for this. Have you asked your printer what other people use?

StuartR

Edited by StuartR to add
    I assumed that your printer was a helpful person in a shop. If it is in fact a device that puts ink on paper then asking may not help!!

SR

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Stuart, I really appreciate your feedback anyway. Thanks! Fiona

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Ian,
    Wow, these look like awesome suggestions. Will try them and get back to you. Thank you! Fiona

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

If you have Acrobat then you can specify custom page sizes, in this case SRA3, and then set your margins appropriately. The custom page size in my ancient version (4!!) of Acrobat will handle pages up to 5080 X 5080 mm which would give you plenty to play with.
    Alternatively, can you get from your print shop the model of printer that they use and then install the print driver for that device (assuming you can source that from somewhere if it's not already on your Windows CD)? Even though you do not have the physical device you can always select the "print to file" option and that would allow you to trial the (modified) macro.
    Oh, and one other thing, if you go the Acrobat route there is a bug with certain versions of Office where the custom page size doesn't work (info on the Adobe website but I don't have the URL for you).
    But there is this page http://support.microsoft.com/kb/157172/EN-US/ on the MS site that tells you how to create "forms" that gets around the custom page size problem (this refers to Win2K & WinNT but it works for WinXP as well)