Thread: DIAL_PLDIAL.A

Lounger
    Thanks

DIAL_PLDIAL.A

Hi

I did a scan and my spybot listed "DIAL_PLDIAL.A" as a potential problem. but I wasn't clear as if I could delete it or not. How should I handle this problem?

-thom-

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: DIAL_PLDIAL.A

I can find only one reference to DIAL_PLDIAL.A in Google, and that's not conclusive. If you expand this item in Spybot, which file or registry key is listed?

Lounger
    Thanks

<small>Edited by HansV - applied <!t>[%]<!/t> tags to prevent %de from being displayed as

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks. I would certainly let Spybot S&D remove this. Dialers are usually up to no good: they try to switch a dial-up connection to another number, usually expensive. If you're on cable or (A)DSL, dialers have no effect, but you should still remove them.

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks.... deleted..... The best my location can do is 28,000... I wish I could get something faster

Lounger
    Thanks

Part II

Okay (did I say already that I hate these guys that have nothing better to do) . I use PC-cillin. Used their delete... It said "Cleaned Successfully"... All 7 times I cleaned it. It kept coming back later. Sometimes within minutes other tiimes within hours.

Then, I called them (PC-cillin). They sent me to http://www.spywareguide.com to use X-Cleaner. Said it would take care of it. Not! I have it again. I can watch it cancel my connection with my ISP and afterward see that it is uploading something to my computer. Seems to have no effect on the system, except...

I called the phone company to see what my long distance charges are now that this spyware is probably calling everyone in China (that has a phone). They said they can't tell me at this time. They probably need to bring in a more powerful computer to calculate the charges. I asked if there is anything I can do about these erroneous charges, they said, "get a second job to help pay the bill."

Does anyone have another suggestion?

-me-

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

If you haven't already, install either the latest version of Spybot Search and Destroy from (for example) Download SpyBot - Search & Destroy 1.4 RC2b and activate the Resident Teatimer option, and/or Microsoft AntiSpyware Beta from Download details: Windows AntiSpyware (Beta). Both monitor unexpected changes to the registry, and will ask for your permission if an application tries to add itself to the startup list.

Thanks

A lot of adware and spyware installs multiple executables to make removal more difficult. If the scanner only spots the "main" program and doesn't find the reinstaller, then you keep getting "infected." You should try some of the other tools mentioned in the past week that examine your running processes and start-up lists. It can be a big headache to research this, but if none of the online sources list ALL of the programs associated with this dialer, you really don't have much choice except to research it yourself.

Can the phone company block those area and/or country codes so that the dialer can't connect?

Also, an application-control firewall like ZoneAlarm might be able to specifically block the dialer. Unless it hooks into IE as a Browser Helper Object (BHO)...

Lounger
    Thanks

jscher

Thanks for your help, I understand only about half of what you said... :-) . I am just a pup. I am like that Far Side comic strip where it shows two frames. In the first it says - what the owner says to his dog. "Spot you are a bad dog. Spot you don't eat the plants. Spot, you are bad, bad, bad." The next frame says - What the dog hears, "Spot, blah, blah, blah, blah, Spot, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, Spot, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah."

I can not imagine having a bigger headache then I have now.

But, I am sure it has multiple executables because I have completely disconnected my computer from the internet and after I have "cleaned" it, it comes back. I have downloaded spybot, and two other "spywares" none of which seemingly detect anything associated with the "Dialer". Only PC-cillin detects it and will "clean" it (But like I said earlier, it keeps coming back). I have been emailing them (PC-cillin) and intern they seem concerned about helping me clean this, but no success so far. I tried that other program from Microsoft that Hans mentioned, but it doesn't seem to work with my OS.

As far as the phone company, they said they couldn't give me any information until my bill comes out. That was suppose to be on the 19th. They told me to call yesterday (23rd) so I did. They (the Customer Service Rep and his bosses find it peculiar that my bill has not been generated yet). The CS said he, and they, have no explanation why my bill has not been generated nor was it in the backup que, and he said he hasn't seen something like that before because nothing has been flagged on my account. They left me with, call back in a few days.

This is happening at my business, a used book store, where I also sell on the internet. Business has all but stopped on the internet since this has happened a week and a half ago.

I use 98, IE, can only dial up connect at 28K because my lines are "dirty" DSL and cable are not available. SO everything I don't takes about 4 hours.

-me-

Thanks

Let's start with the firewall software. After you install ZoneAlarm or Sygate Personal Firewall (both free), no programs will be able to connect to the Internet without your permission. That is one way to block the dialing, even if the program itself keeps trying. However, these programs are crafty and might attempt to connect as a different application. Just say no to everything for now, you can ease up later.

Second, shut down everything that is running on your computer that you can shut down: applications, task try items, etc. When you open the Task Manager (right-click the task bar, then Task Manager) and click the processes tab, you should see 15-30 items. Some of these are Windows itself, but one or more of them obviously are bad guys. But here's the problem: it's difficult to research them without being on the Internet. Maybe someone knows of a program that will kick out a list of running processes so you can investigate whether one of them is the dialer's reinstaller.

Hope this helps!

Lounger
    Thanks

jscher20

1) I have a firewall. I just discovered I can set it to high, which says I have to okay all incoming and outgoing messages.

2) attachment

-me-