2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

starting a database (access 2000)

I am starting a database from scratch in access and I am wondering if there are any dos and donts in the design of it, because the database will grow large and be queried on a network, so speed will be very important. If anyone has tips from there past experiences please share

thanks

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: starting a database (access 2000)

Could you be more specific as to which post that might be Wendell? Thx
    Regards,
    Rudi

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Search yielded <post#=195604>post 195604</post#> (Access Golden Rules) and <post#=185086>post 185086</post#> (Normailisation).

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Sorry - I had every intention of putting in a link to the thread that Hans found - I even remember copying the post number of the most recent tips and tricks. I'll edit my post a bit.
    Wendell

Super Moderator
    Thanks

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by WendellB on 19-May-05 05:16. Forgot to include the link to SteveH's post)</P>You have a substantial task ahead of you - Access is probably the most complex, and the most powerful, of the Office applications. I would strongly recommend you get a good beginner's book on database design - the table structure you come up with is akin to the foundation of a house. If it's wrong, the whole project will be wobbly. If you are going to get into a fairly sophisticated design, I would also suggest you get one of the beginning VBA for Access books. Both Microsoft and Wrox have good books on the subject - you will find them mentioned in several recent posts if you search for books in this forum.

Unfortunately, there's no good substitute for experience - and many of our fellow loungers have a great deal. One thing you might look at is <post#=195604>post 195604</post#> by <!profile=SteveH>SteveH<!/profile> that contains a word document with lots of tips and tricks. Our own website also has a tip or trick that changes on a daily basis, and there are some tutorials on the site as well. There are also numerious resources on the Web, and of course this forum which can be used to post specific questions and get advice.

Finally, it would be helpful if you provided more information about the purpose of your database, how many users are likely to use it simultaneously, how secure it needs to be, and whether it will be located on a server or a workstation. Details about your LAN could also be important - how fast is it, and how reliable is it. Also will it be accessed from the Internet. Hope this gives you some ideas to start with.
    Wendell