New Lounger
    Thanks

Attachment Problem (2003)

I would appreciate if someone could tell me why Outlook attachments (in both pdf and word) sometimes get converted into something called windata.dat (I am not sure about the name) and the recipient cannot open the file. Yet, when I send the same file again it frequently is fine. Is it anything I am doing without realizing it?

Thanks.
    Chris

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Attachment Problem (2003)

The name is probably Winmail.dat. Outlook creates this file if you send e-mails in RTF format (for example if you use Word as mail editor). Other mail systems than Outlook usually can't read RTF format mails. The problem should not occur if you send the mail in plain text or HTML format.

If you reply to a mail from someone who doesn't use Outlook, the mail will probably not be in RTF format, so it will be received correctly then.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you very much for your quick reply. And you are correct, I am using Word as my mail editor. I will change it and hopefully avoid futur problems. The only thing I don't understand is why the problem occurs only intermittently.

Best regards and thanks for your help

Chris

Thanks

It might be intermittent because it tends to be a problem for people NOT using Outlook, any many of your correspondents probably are using Outlook.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Your other alternative is to tell someone in the body of the e-mail precisely what your document is. Generally, if they rename the extension (from DAT to PDF or DOC), the document will open as originally expected. HTH
    Gre