Thread: Uninstall

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Uninstall

I don't know whether this is the correct forum. I need to completely uninstall my printer/scanner so I can reinstall since I'm having trouble with OCR. I have Win 98SE w/ Office 2K.Using Ctrl Panel didn't uninstall everything. Is there a way of locating all the files for this equipment so I can completely delete them or whatever? I'm aiming for a clean install without wiping HD. Thanks in advance.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Uninstall

You have a couple options. First, if it is an HP scanner/printer, many of the files simply begin with "HP...". Look for those files.

Also, look at the DATES of the files that you KNOW came from your printer/scanner. Look for files in you Windows/System folder with those exact dates. Right-click and check the Properties to see if the file came from your printer/scanner.

I would start there... You may also want to scour your registry for scanner entries as well for a complete uninstall. I am not sure this is necessary...

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I'm afraid I am a novice and I don't know where to look for the files beginning with HP; nor how to access Windows/System files. I've never gone into the registry. Do I get there from Explorer or perhaps thru msconfig?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

OK, first off how do you know that the Control Panel App did not remove everything? You must have looked somewhere and saw something that made you believe that. Assumedly. you saw some file that was for the device in question.

Let's start at step one -- are you sure your can fix your problem by a reinstall? And then step two -- are you sure you need to do a COMPLETE uninstall?

What problem were you having with the OCR and what OCR program are you using -- TextBridge? What version? Do you have the latest patches/updates for this OCR program? Is it compatible with Office2000? These are all things to think about.

Now, if you already know that some files have not been removed, go to one of those files. Right-click and select Properties. Note the date Modified.

Open the folder that holds that file. Switch to Details View. Order the files by Date Modified by clicking that column's header. Look at the files that were modified on the same date as the file in question. Right click on any file that looks suspicious and check the Properties box. Make sure it is for the device in question. Simply rename the file by adding ".backup" to the end of the filename. For example, hpsetup.inf becomes hpsetup.inf.backup.

That way you are disabling the file, but NOT deleting it. If you need it in the future, simply remove the .backup.

To look for similar files, open a Search box -- hold down the Windows key (between Ctrl and Alt) and hit the "F" key. Type in the first few letters of some of the files you just renamed then add wildcards. For example, "HP*.*" (no quotes). Search for similar named files. Again check the Properties box to verify that the files are for you device. If so, rename them as above.

Finally, in a Search box, look for all files modified on the same date as the "modified dates" that correspond to the dates of the files you have already renamed. See which ones might be related to your device, and again rename them.

If you do all of this, you will catch a vast majority of the files that "Remove" missed. However, your registry is likely going to be populated with dead end links...

If you have never used regedit before, I recommend you *not* use it now. If you have a friend who can use it, have them search your registry for any references to your device, or the device's manufacturer. Also, they could search for the names of the files that you just renamed. Backup the registry first and then either rename the keys (add some bogus character at the begining to deactivate the key) or delete the key IF you are sure it is for your device. As long as you backup first, you are OK.

Alternatively, you could run one of the free registry checking programs, such as EasyCleaner:
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.saunalahti.fi/tonihele>http://www.saunalahti.fi/tonihele</A>

This should get you started!! [img]/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Star Lounger
    Thanks

OK, first off how do you know that the Control Panel App did not remove everything? [Maria: Because after supposedly uninstalling with the Ctrl Panel's Remove, when I was attempting to re-install the software, I got a message saying that program was already installed] You must have looked somewhere and saw something that made you believe that. Assumedly. you saw some file that was for the device in question.

Let's start at step one -- are you sure your can fix your problem by a reinstall? [Maria: No, but I've had trouble with this before and re-installing fixed it.] And then step two -- are you sure you need to do a COMPLETE uninstall?[Maria: Only because of the message I rec'd.]

What problem were you having with the OCR and what OCR program are you using -- TextBridge? [Maria: I wasn't able to get a complete text with the format intact of a job application I scanned.] What version? [Maria: OmniPage Limited Edition - came with the HP Printer/Scanner/Copier and I learned in a conversation with their tech support that this scanner only worked with this software/driver.] Do you have the latest patches/updates for this OCR program? [Maria: Not yet!] Is it compatible with Office2000? [Maria: I confess I haven't checked since I got Ofc 2K just a few months ago. I will have to contact tecnical support to find out.] These are all things to think about.

Now, if you already know that some files have not been removed, go to one of those files. Right-click and select Properties. Note the date Modified.[Maria: Don't know how.]

Alternatively, you could run one of the free registry checking programs, such as EasyCleaner:
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.saunalahti.fi/tonihele>http://www.saunalahti.fi/tonihele</A>

This should get you started!! [img]/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img][Maria: I downloaded EasyCleaner and deleted unnecessary files. It found 11 files duplicated but it was taking over an hour to compare the files so I closed it. I've decided to check on the compatibility with Ofc 2K before I do anything else. Thank you for your help. I'll let you know!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

From my experience, installing a scanner consists primarily of installing drivers (the rest is accompanying software, such as Caere Omni-Page LE or TextBridge). Normally, scanner files are found in a folder called twain or twain32, which may be a subfolder of the Windows folder. You can find this in Windows Explorer.

Your scanner manufacturer should have a web site with instructions on how to do this. If you're not certain, you should consult their tech support people first.
    The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position or opinion of WCNOC.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Tech support for HP scanners is quite interesting. Give it a try when you have a few DAYS or so. Usually their advice is on the level of "remove it with Control Panel Add/Remove Programs applet" -- eh, and that did not work...

Just the pessimist in me!