Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Chart Axis Custom Format (XL 97)

I have an automated charting tool that uses the custom format "m/d/yy h:mm" to format the X-Axis when it is date/time. It usually looks fine; it is displayed as two lines, date then time; however, if there are just a few points (<5), then XL decides that there is plenty of room and scrunches it all on one line. Is there anyway to insert a LF/CR in a custom format string, something like [NEWLINE] or 012. Any ideas? TIA --Sam
    <font face="Comic Sans MS">Sam Barrett, CACI </font face=comic>
    <small>And the things that you have heard... commit these to faithful men who will be able to teach others also. 2 Timothy 2:2</small>

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Chart Axis Custom Format (XL 97)

You can set the format to "m/d/yy" & vbLf & "h:mm". If you do this interactively, you'd have to type Alt+010 (on the numeric keypad) in the custom format.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

I've gotten sidetracked on other things, but that looks like exactly what I need. I'll try it hopefully next week. Thanks, Hans!
    <font face="Comic Sans MS">Sam Barrett, CACI </font face=comic>
    <small>And the things that you have heard... commit these to faithful men who will be able to teach others also. 2 Timothy 2:2</small>

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Hans,

Does your approach only work with charts? Not having a chart at hand (and seeing utility to this for non-chart applications), I tried applying this to
    - a custom format for a cell with a date entry
    - the format specification in the 2nd arg in the text function

I was trying to keep it simple just to see if it would work. So I had a cell with today's date and tried to concatenate the cell value to vbLF and "hello" just to see what would happen. For example, something like
    =text(a1,"dd mm yy" & Alt+010 & "hello") where a1 has a date and Alt+010 was entered on the numeric keypad.

The date part came out ok but the rest of the entry was messed up. Since the laptop was "bonging" as I entered the Alt+010, I'm betting I did something wrong there.

Fred

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You can't use Alt+010 in a formula. Try this:

=TEXT(A1,"dd-mm-yy"&CHAR(10)&"hello")

CHAR(10) is the formula equivalent ov Alt+010 and of the VBA expression vbLf = Chr(10). The backslashes in "hello" indicate that h and e are literal characters instead of formatting codes (h=hour, e=exponent).

Oh, and you'll have to specify Wrap Text for the cell containing the formula (in the Alignment tab of Format | Cells).

Thanks

You can use it in a custom format, but there is a "serious" limitation. The col width must be wide enough to show the entire entry "unwrapped" or excel will display the "###############" indicating the col is too narrow.

In my mind, this defeats the purpose of adding it to the custom format...

Steve

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Good point, forgot to mention that (it has come up here before).

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Hans and Steve,

The ...&CHAR(10)&... and the slashes made things better in that I did not get "garbage" where I had the h and e (bad choice of word in this case). But you also have to have wrap checked or the CHAR(10) is ignored. So the TEXT approach seems to work.

As Steve pointed out though, the custom format approach is inviting but doesn't really do what I'd want.

Thanks.

Fred