Thanks

ReplaceAll in range (2002 SP-2)

If you perform a range.Find.Execute(Replace:=wdReplaceAll), and if it so happens that the .Find.Text and the range.Text are exactly the same -- i.e., if the range consists of single instance of the Find target and nothing more -- Word ignores the end of the range and performs the replace throughout the rest of the document (starting with the range). If the range consists of the find target and a single additional character (e.g., a space), Word restricts the replace (as expected) to the range.

I get the same unexpected behavior using the Replace dialog (if the Selection consists of a single instance of the Find target).

Bug? Feature? Explanation, anyone?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: ReplaceAll in range (2002 SP-2)

I'd say it is by design. If you select a word in a document, then open the Replace dialog, the selected word is automatically placed in the 'Find what' box. You type something in the 'Replace with box'. It seems a reasonable assumption that if you then click 'Replace All', you intend to replace more than just the selected word, otherwise you could have clicked Replace. To display the prompt "Word has finished searching the selection. ..." in this situation would be irritating.

Thanks

I can definitely understand the rationale in the dialog-box scenario you describe, but I can't understand the carry-over of the same ignore-the-boundary approach where you're using ReplaceAll with a range object in VBA. And I note, as a follow-up, that the same ignore-the-range behavior happens where the find target involves wildcards.

If you're not using wildcards, the workaround for the problem is a little kludgey but straightforward -- you test to see if rngX.Text is the target and, if it is, either set the range's .Text to the replacement or do ReplaceOne (instead of ReplaceAll) at that location. But if the Find target involves wildcards, what's the alternative test?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I suppose that the same decision mechanism is behind the interactive behavior and that in VBA. For wildcard searches it is inconvenient, I don't see an easy workaround.