5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Office update prob (Office 2000 -> Sp1a)

Windows 98SE, Windows Installer v2
    I am at last trying to upgrade Office 2000 Premium to SP1a !
    As noted elsewhere in this forum, the install fails when looking for a valid copy of data1.msi for WORD 2000.
    I don't really have a WORD disk - its simply included on disk 1 of Office 2000 Premium.
    Things I've already tried:
    1. Microsoft's KB says the problem is caused by a conflict with Microsoft Works. Can't be that as I have never had Works on my PC (and there is only one data1.msi).
    2. I've tried copying the data1.msi file to my HDD and installing from there - same result, its looking for a valid data1.msi for Word. I have only the one data1.msi (I have checked that there are no others on the system).
    The only thing I can think of (having read all through previous battles with this nonsense) is abstruse. I am installing from Drive W but the original installation was from drive E (cos my CD drive failed). Is the Installer clever enough to spot this, and if so what can I do ?
    Any help gratefully received - it sounds to have been a common problem but I am not sure what solutions actually worked.
    Thanks
    Martin

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Office update prob (Office 2000 -> Sp1a)

I lied !
    Works IS installed - OEM install, there are no icons or start entries, and I never used it ! Sorry to mislead.
    I tried add/remove programs but it only offers to INSTALL works, not to remove it.
    So I'm still stumped.
    Thought I'd better come clean about Works, though.

Thanks

It seems likely that the installer is discovering Works through various registry entries. If you don't need Works to be functional, perhaps you can delete a couple of registry entries and "blind" the installer to its presence? I don't know how to do that, but perhaps some Googling would show the way... naturally, one must exercise caution with that kind of experiment.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks. That's what I feared. I'd be grateful if anyone can advise, and will also do a Google.
    Otherwise its sleeves rolled up, back-up the Riegistry and hope !

Thanks

<!mskb=329369>Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 329369<!/mskb> outlines all of the steps necessary to correct the problem.
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Many thanks - I must be thick - I couldn't see if the KB article applies to either of Win98Se and Office 2000 Premium edition. What do you think ?

Thanks

The Installer Cleanup Utility runs on Win95 and up. The KB article has two sets of instructions. The second series of steps is to be used if "Your computer is running Microsoft Windows XP". The first series of steps would be used for 98.
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions