2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Wireless Networking XP/WIN98SE Computers

I want to link my 3 computers using a wireless network.

The main computer is running XP PRO and has cable modem connection to Optus Broadband.

The 2nd computer runs WIN 98 SE as does my laptop.

I'm considering using DLink wireless components i.e. a DI 624+ Router, a G520+ PCI card for the 2nd computer and a G650+ Cardbus Adaptor for the laptop.

DLink have told me that they only supply drivers for WIN XP and not for WIN 98 and there would only be MS WIN 98 generic drivers for the 2 cards.

My questions are:

1. With these generic drivers for the cards, would I be able to set up my little network ?

2. Are these WIN 98 generic drivers be on the WIN 98 CD, or if not where would I have to go to download suitable drivers for these 2 cards?

3. Woud the router's firewall be adequate for my network's protection, or do I still need to use a software firewall such as Kerio or ZoneAlarm on each computer?

If so, would the free versions of these 2 S/W firewalls allow the 2nd computer and the Laptop to have access to the cable modem ?

Currently with my coax Ethernet connection, either of the free versions of these firewalls only allows my 2nd computer computer to access the main computer and not to the to the cable modem.

I understand that I would have to purchase the full versions of these Firewal to enable the 2nd computer to have access to the cable modem connected Ethernet.

Is this correct?

Thanks in advance

Max Rieper

mrieper@optusnet.com.au

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Wireless Networking XP/WIN98SE Computers

Why are you so set on this particular vendor? I wouldn't buy a wireless card for Windows98 unless it came with drivers, I can't imaging any out-of-the-box Windows98 drivers doing the right thing.

I have used Belkin 802.11g cards with Windows98 quite successfully, they do supply Windows98 software with their cards.

StuartR

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Stuart for your prompt response

Can you tell me what the Belkin Part numbers for the WIN XP Router, the WIN 98 SE PCI card and the WIN 98SE PCM card for the Laptop so I can see if we can get them out here

Also can you comment on my H/W vs S/W Firewall question

Thanks in advance
    Max

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Firewall question first. Have a look at <post#=407306>post 407306</post#> for a discussion of why you need a software firewall as well as a hardware one, and pointers to various free products.

As for the Belkin cards, have a look on their web site at the wireless networking products. The two you have asked about are called "802.11g Wireless Notebook Network Card F5D7010" and "802.11g Wireless Desktop Network Card F5D7000".

These cards are NOT Windows98 specific. The product information says "Works with Windows