Lounger
    Thanks

screenwriting continued (2002/sp2)

i was wondering if it is possible to do the following: if i have a dialogue style and it runs from the bottom of one page to the top of the next page. is there some way, i can have continued next page appear in the bottom right and then have a name style inserted at the top of the next page for the person speaking? eg Tom (Cont.) i know you can get software programs that do this, but frankly, i prefer Word.
    thanks for any help.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: screenwriting continued (2002/sp2)

The only way I can think of to do this is to use a two row table for each speech, with the speaker's name in the first row and Heading Rows Repeat set. You can turn off all borders so that it won't look like a table, but it does mean that the speaker name has to go on the line before the text, not the same line.

StuartR

Thanks

Re: screenwriting continued (2002/sp2)

I know you're not interested in a screenwriting program, but have you looked into Dr. Format? It uses (requires) Word 97 or higher.

One of the first screenwriting programs at the Writers Store in West L.A. was based on the DOS version of Word. I don't know if this is related to that program, but it was a complex system of macros and styles that produced a fine screenplay format. It's been so long I don't remember what the process for splitting dialogue was -- it could be that it was a macro that was run when the draft was completed (and undone for the next draft?). Too long ago, too few brains cells. I can imagine a process for this kind of formatting, but not one that will automatically split and unsplit dialog as you edit, if that's what you're looking for.

Kim