4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Drive Mapping can it be forced? (XP/SP2)

Dear Loungers,

I have an external LaCie drive with which I have two problems:

1. It used to be set to autodetect switch on switch off and this worked fine. Hhowever for some time now, and I can't think what changed, I have to turn it off manually otherwise boot/reboot hangs on detecting the USB device - it's using a USB2 port. I have put a query into LaCie but perhaps someone has experience this and know a solution.

2. And the real query is as a result of 1 above... the drive used to map to H drive and so a number of applications, notably my jukebox which has thousands of tracks, refer to H. But I introduced a media reader once without the LaCie being on and it "stole" the H mapping and the LaCie when switched on took K as the next available drive. Hence some of the applications don't see data and it's too big a job to change everything to K. My problem is that now wnen switching the LaCie on it always uses K.

Can I force it to use H... is there a way to "clean the mapping" to force it to take the next available. And can I "hard" wire the mapping without solving 1?

thank you........................ liz

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Drive Mapping can it be forced? (XP/SP2)

I can answer my own question! at least the second part: Use Computer Management, Disk Management select the relevant Drive and then Chnage Drive Letter.

I'd be interested to hear from anyone with suggestions about the LaCie autodetect problem as LaCie themselves don't have much idea

liz

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Re: Drive Mapping can it be forced? (XP/SP2)

Take a look at the Microsoft Autoplay Repair Wizard. It may help.

Joe
    Joe