4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Application Title/Icon (Access XP)

I am trying to reset the Application Title and path to the Application Icon in startup properties for a Front end database. I reset the values, then close and reopen or run a compact and repair to the application and they revert to the old values. I can't recall having trouble changing these values in the past. Any ideas?
    Thank you,
    Carla

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Application Title/Icon (Access XP)

You shouldn't have problems with that. Perhaps your database has become slightly corrupt. Try creating a new blank database, and importing all database objects from the problem database. Hopefully you can make the application title and icon stick in the new database.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hans,

Thank you for the suggestion. Seems when I try to import into a clean container I get a myriad of permission problems importing even though I have Admin permissions. I have in the past when I needed to do this type of action been successful exporting each item one at a time. There are so many objects in the database that it takes about 90 mins to accomplish this. I guess I can live with the current Application title, it just has the incorrect vesion number.
    Thank you,
    Carla

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hans,

To resolve the problem I put some code to change the app title in the Open event for the startup switchboard form and it seems to work fine. Not a real clean solution, but it seems harmless and is working.

Carla

Super Moderator
    Thanks

You may be seeing the same behavior I saw on a 2002 project I worked on. We had a front-end with about 1000 objects in it, and we finally had to resort to dumping it to text and then rebuilding it to get it to behave. It also seemed to be a function of the database format - the 2000 one seemed less prone to trouble than the 2002 version. What is the file format for your front-end?
    Wendell

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Wendell,
    Thaank you for the information.
    The database front end and 5 associated back end files are all in 2002 format. In this particular front end there are about 500 objects. I have had problems attempting to import any of the interconnected database front ends into clean files( usually permission problems), and have only had success by exporting individual objects. About the only instability I have noticed is this inability to save changes to the application title and icon. I did not experience this problem prior to converting the database from 2000 to 2002. the conversion was done a couple of years ago. Ocassionally there are record locking issues and I have had some issues with getting permissions on single objects to hold, but usually after a second or third resetting they hold. Not sure there are enough issues to consider rebuilding yet. I have had the code in the Switchboard Open event to change the application title running for several hours today and have not had any user issues, and it seems not to be any kind of performance problem. I think in this case I would have liked to have found a better answer, but it is working so probably OK unless other issues appear.

Carla

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Hi Carla,

FWIW, your problems with trying to import into a clean database probably have to do with the ownership of the original front-end. If you check the ownership of the database itself from the security menu, does it say "Unknown"? I've seen that cause all sorts of issues. It sounds like this is currently an aggravation more than anything else, but if it gets to be more than that, consider reverting back to the 2000 format - it works just fine with either 2002 or 2003.
    Wendell

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Wendell,
    The database owner is listed as CPLANADMN. I think I will try to see if anyone still has the login in for the original owner account and see if I can import using that login. Right now it is just a small agravation. There has been some consideration about going back to the 2000 format, but the general IT department thought has been to stay up to date with the most current version we are using. Are there any down sides to staying with 2000. I know there are some benefits in terms of file size for the back ends.

Carla

Super Moderator
    Thanks

If you have admin priviledges in the security file, then you should be able to reset the password for it, and then do the import. But for security purposes, you should promptly logon with that account and change the password to something secure.

As to the 2000 format versus the 2002 format, the primary difference we see is the bloating that occurs. We had been running a 2000 front end for over a year - when you made design changes it would gradually grow from around 8 or 9 Mbytes to 18 to 20, but a compact and repair would bring it back down to very close to the original size. We upgraded the front-end to 2002/2003 format a few weeks ago and rebuilt the front-end by importing things. It started life at about 6 Mbytes, but in the process of making a few fairly simple changes and adding a couple of small reports it has grown to 12 Mbytes when compacted. But now if I make a few changes, it promptly blows up to 25MB or more.

One of the major changes in the 2002 format was to add a new table that tracks file usage - it was supposed to improve the stability of the database by reducing corruption issues, and also make the compact process faster for large databases. At this point it appears it may be the culprit when the database bloats substantially. We're still debating whether to go back to the 2000 format for the front-end. I'll let you know how we fare if we revert back.
    Wendell

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Wendell,
    This is very interesting information about a topic I have experienced, but have not seen a lot of discussion about. Charlotte has posted some replies that discuss this to some degree, and I have appreciated the information.
    The Admin account in the security file has been reset to a new password already, the CPLANADMIN account was created to take it's place for the DBA at that time. That was about 4 years ago, and that account is not in use anymore. I think it was left in the database security file because of the owner issue. We have attemped to change database owners in the past and found some things are best left unchanged.
    I would be interested in how it goes if you revert back to 2000. We have discussed having 2000 back end files and XP front end files but have not acted on it. All of the current front ends are in the 7-12 MB range when compacted, and expand to the 16-20 MB range after a few changes , so there seems to be a great difference from just some small changes . Does your experience show a performance slow down from 2000 to 2002?
    Carla

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Ownership of a database always seems to get sticky after a while. The model we use has an Access front-end to a SQL Server back-end, and we deploy the front-end to each workstation, so performance is primarily a function of the SQL Server database, rather than the front-end. We routinely get sub-second response time for searches on an individual record in a table with 350K records and a number of related tables. Our front-ends typically have a tab control with 6 or more tabs, and most of them contain a subform displaying related table information for that record. We've used this approach with as many as 200 users on a single back-end and had good success, though the deployment process does need a tool to manage it.
    Wendell

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Wendell,

When there is adequate funding, the future of these databases is to go the direction you are describing. SQL Server backend and Access fronts. Only about 60 sporatic users at this time, but the multiple page tab control forms some with as many as 9 tabs with related subforms on them are getting slow to open, and some of the queries that return the larger recordsets are sluggish as well. I currently am looking at a book by Russel Sinclair title "From Access to SQL Server" and it has a lot of good information. I am hoping when the time comes for the transition it will go somewhat smoothly. Thank you for the confirmation that this is a good direction to go as it is a big step.

Carla

Super Moderator
    Thanks

<hr>I currently am looking at a book by Russel Sinclair title "From Access to SQL Server" and it has a lot of good information.<hr>
    It does have lots of good information, but it is also rather dated - it was published before SQL Server 2000 was widely available. A couple of other books I would suggest are the Microsoft Access Developer's Guide to SQL Server by Baron and Chipman, and SQL: Access to SQL Server by Harkins. In addition, if you want some good pragmatic information about working with Access and SQL Server, I like the content and style in Alison Balter's Guide to Access 2002 Enterprise Development. Finally, you should be aware that a new version of SQL Server is in the works, with an expected delivery in the second half of this year - and it will have a version that is relatively inexpensive. I should add that nearly all of our development is done with SQL Server as the back end these days.
    Wendell