2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Object library references (2003 SP1 (11.6355.6360))

1) In what order are various directories searched for library references? Is it application directory, Windows System directory, Windows directory, .mdb file location, etc., or what?

2) What is the best strategy for specifying object library references for Word, Excel, Outlook with a mixed user community of Office 2003 users and Office 2000 users. All are running Windows 2000. In my front-end databases should I set references to these libraries to the 2000 version?
    Also, I've noticed that the name of the Microsoft Office 11 Excel Object Library is excel.exe, not excel.olb as it is in Office 2000. Will this pose problems, too?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Object library references (2003 SP1 (11.6355.6360))

1. In the order in which the ticked references are listed in the Tools | References... dialog, top to bottom.

2. To avoid problems, use a split frontend/backend design, and give each user a private copy of the frontend. (See Why Split a Database? on WendellB's website). You could create separate frontends for Access 2000 and Access 2003 users, but it would probably work OK too if you created the frontend in Access 2000. I'm fairly sure that the references will adjust themselves automatically on a machine with Access 2003. That is not true the other way round.

You could also use late binding instead of early binding:
    - Replace all declarations that refer to Word, Excel or Outlook objects, such as Dim wbk As Excel.Workbook by declarations as plain objects: Dim wbk As Object.
    - Replace all Word, Excel and Outlook constants such as wdSaveChanges and xlDown by their values (you can look them up in the Object Browser)
    - Use CreateObject and/or GetObject to create the Word.Application object instance, etc. Don't use the New keyword.
    - Remove the references to the Word, Excel and Outlook object libraries.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hans,
    Thanks for your thoughts, but:

1. What I meant was where will the system look for, for example, MSWord.olb. I'll set the reference as I develop the system, but a user may not have MSWord.olb in the same folder that I do. If so, in what order, and where, will the user's system search for the file when running the front-end database that I developed for him?

2. I do use split FE/BE with each user having his own copy running on his local hard drive, but I would like to avoid having two different versions (a 2000 version and a 2003 version) of the front-end. I don't always know which version of Access a user has when I deploy the FE mdb.

Also, I want to avoid using late binding as performance is a fairly big issue for many of these users.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry for not interpreting your question correctly. I don't know the answer to #1.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Object library references (2003 SP1 (11.6355.6

In reference to your first question, recommend refer to this MSKB article for Microsoft's explanation of how library references are resolved in Access:

How Access 2000 resolves Visual Basic for Applications references

Article notes: "If the RefLibPaths registry key does not exist or does not contain a proper reference, Access next uses the SearchPath API to search for the referenced file." The article then lists the order in which various folders are searched.

HTH

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Object library references (2003 SP1 (11.6355.6

Thanks to both of you, Hans and Mark. This site is the best source for information about Access that I know of and I certainly appreciate the help I've received.