Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Keyboard fails (2003 SP-1)

I have a problem keyboarding (typing) in Word on my laptop computer (XP Pro SP-2) which does not occur on my desktop computer (XP Home SP-2). I am typing at a moderate rate and suddenly lose my insertion point. I am still typing when this happens, and I have no idea where my input is going. This is very frustrating and worrying, as well as time-consuming when I am trying to get some work done.

Has anyone else experienced this or have any suggestions for troubleshooting it? It may be strictly a hardware problem, but since Word is the only program I do any extensive typing in, I thought I would post it here, where others are likely to have encountered it. I

Thanks

Re: Keyboard fails (2003 SP-1)

In addition to having a variety of special function key combinations that can be hit accidentally, many laptops have very touchpads that can reposition to mouse with the brush of a palm. If you think it might be the latter, a piece of heavy paper (e.g., a piece of a file folder) can be used as a temporary touchpad cover (tape at the bottom so you can flip it up and down as needed).

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

That's a very strong possibility, and an ingenious suggestion.

The computer has both a touchpad and an AccuPoint, neither of which system I normally use, preferring instead a Graphire tablet, using the mouse most of the time. For keyboard input, however, the touchpad would be fastest and I think I'll switch to that, which will require some practice since I haven't used one extensively for some time. I do know that mine is very sensitive, and I suspect that you hit the nail on the head with your suggestion.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I would say it's almost certainly the touchpad. That happens to me with almost any laptop I use.

Most laptops have a means of disabling the touchpad, either via a button directly above it, or, more commonly, a Function Key combo (mine's Fn-F4). Look for an F key (F1-F12) with a picture of a mouse or a mouse with an X through it, or something like that. Fn plus that key should disable the touchpad (pressing it again will toggle it back on).

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

You were right. My disable is right in the manufacturer's utility from the Start menu, and

A quick click
    Did the trick!

(I'm a poet
    And don't know it
    But my feet show it
    They're Longfellows!)

Thanks for the help. I have it turned off for the time being, but one day will do a proper job of learning it. Your link is excellent.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

... and I thought it was:
    I'm a poet,
    and I know it.
    My feet are Longfellows,
    and they smell like the Dickens