Thread: Wireless

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Wireless

I've decided I need to change from cable to wireless networking. However, all my PCI slots are filled so I need to use a wireless-G USB adapter (probably Linksys, which I've had good results from). I know there are a number of variables affecting connection speed, but, in general, should I expect slower speeds? If so, a significant speed?

Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Wireless

Under most circumstances you will have slower speeds. it could be significance depending on several factors. 1) Physical layout., wireless can be slowed/interupted by the physical aspects of the building - brick, steel in the walls, ETC will cause issues. Also other products that emit signals, IE phones, can interfer with your signal. 2) Speed is naturally slower with a max of 54MBPS compared to the cable speed of 100/1000MBPS. Unless you are running on a very old network where 10MBPS is the maximum. 3) Your use of a USB port will also slow down your speed slightly. You can gain a little speed back if your system can use fully USB2. 4) Having said all that I like wireless for the mobility it allows. My wife loves to be able to take her laptop out on the pourch and work rather then sitting in the house bound to a desk. She connects at about 30MBPS normally and while it is slower then the wired she able to log in at work and also use the network printer here without issue. 5) Also speed may not be important to you if your just using intranet rather then intranet plus the internet. If your only interested in connecting to other computers, printers, ETC then you wil lnot notice the speed difference as much as if you use wireless to connect to the internet. I would also recommend you stay with one company for the router/WAP and cards for the computers. makes it easier to troubleshoot and if you have to call comapany support saves on "it must be the other company issue, not ours" problem. Good luck and post back if you have any further questiuons.