Lounger
    Thanks

Table Gridlines (2002)

Is the Table Show/Hide Gridlines setting saved with the document? I ask because on some documents when I choose to Show the Gridlines and then save the document, the next time I open the document the gridlines appear. However, given the same circumstances, in other documents, when I re-open the document the gridlines do not appear. Please help.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Table Gridlines (2002)

Word doesn't store the status of gridlines with a document. It is a property of the active window. Word applies the most recently setting to newly opened windows.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Where in the default settings (and where are they) can you reassert that you want gridlines to show if you open a document in the active window?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I assume the setting is stored in the binary (and hence not human-readable) Settings value in the registry key HKCUSoftwareMicrosoftOffice10.0WordData. During a session, Word will apply the most recently used setting.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I see. Why I have entered this thread is that when one of our word processors opens a document that has a table heading at the top of the document, her Show/Hide is all of a sudden hiding her gridlines, so she has to stop and click on Show/Hide to get the gridlines back. She never used to have to do this. In fact, no one else seems to be experiencing this problem. So, I am trying to trouble-shoot. Thanks.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Strange - Show/Hide has nothing to do with gridlines by default. Does she have a macro named ShowAll (for example in her Normal.dot)? A macro of that name would hijack the Show/Hide button.

She could try Phil Rabichow's <!post=Systematic Approach to Behavioral Problems in Word (97/2000),197827>Systematic Approach to Behavioral Problems in Word (97/2000)<!/post> to see if she can pinpoint the culprit.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Hans. We will look into it further.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

For troubleshooting, take a look at <post#=197827>post 197827</post#>. When you say she must click on Show/Hide, I assume you mean from the Table menu. The Show/Hide button on the standard toolbar should have nothing to do with showing gridlines.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes. We are talking about the gridlines associated with tables--not the gridlines available through the Drawing toolbar. Sorry about the confusion. I have printed the "Systematic Method of Fixing Common Problems & the Data Key" and will see if we can effect a remedy. Thank you for your input!

Star Lounger
    Thanks

There is no problem. This is Word behavior. Your remedy is:

The user with the gridlines off should:
    1. close all documents, and Word.
    2. restart Word
    3. start a new blank document
    4. insert a table
    5. show table gridlines

Now, in all documents opened, gridlines will show. (Maybe I misunderstood, have you taken these steps and still Word hides gridlines on the next opened document?)

Star Lounger
    Thanks

You did not misunderstand. We tried this yesterday, and the person now has her gridlines upon opening a document with a table header. Thanks.