Silver Lounger
    Thanks

books for Publisher (2003)

Hi All,

My wife is looking for a good book on MS Publisher (preferably 2003) to supplement her class. She has a list of books from PriceGrabber but she'd like to look at the book before buying. None of the big stores around here (B&N and Amazon in central NJ) have these or other books on Publisher on the shelf. The list includes
    - MS Office Publisher 2003 by Shelly
    - MS Office Publisher 2003 by Reding
    - MS Publisher 2003 by Shelly
    - MS Office Publisher 2003 Brief by Stevens
    - Getting Started with MS Office Publisher 2003 by Stevens

Does anyone have experience with any of these books?

Does anyone have knowledge of other books that you think is particularly good (or bad to stay away from)?

TIA

Fred

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: books for Publisher (2003)

I also teach a Publisher class and have had problems finding a textbook I really like. Our college now uses Elizabeth Reding's Microsoft Office Publisher 2003. My very favorite textbooks are in the New Perspectives series published by Course Technologies. Unfortunately, the last Publisher book published in this series is Publisher 2000.
    I made up my own textbook for Publisher 2003 using the New Perspectives book as an example. It was a lot of work but I feel comfortable working with it.
    Barbara<div align='center'></div>

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Barbara,

Thanks for the answer.

It sounds like there are 2 books you've considered:
    - Reding's book which is based on Publisher 2003
    - the New Perspective book based on Publisher 2000

Why did you choose the latter for a course on Publisher 2003? Why not the former?

I also found a book on Publisher 2000 a few days ago - Publisher for Dummies, of course. The store I was in had that and nothing later. The dummies.com web site doesn't seem to have a later book although it has an article on Publisher 2003.

Fred

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Fred, I am very comfortable with the format used in the New Perspectives' textbooks. I like the fact that my students can download files to work with and the way it teaches each lesson. I took the Publisher 2000 text, used the same files and upgraded it to incorporate the new features in Publisher 2003.

My students range in age from 60 to 85. Their home computers may have Windows 95, 98, 98SE, ME, or XP and the same is true with their edition of Publisher. A student last spring was working with Publisher 97! With that diversity, it seemed easy to just make my own text.

I use New Perspectives texts to teach Word and PowerPoint.

I personally won't use any text that has "Dummies" in the title. I don't like the message it sends to people.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Barbara.

Until your message, the Dummies book was the only one I found completely devoted to Publisher. However, I don't use it in class (agree the message). I just wanted something to serve as a reference for constructing my notes to hand out in class - kind of like what you did with the New Perspectives book.

Fred

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Got'cha! To me, Microsoft seems to be phasing out Publisher. Word has become the software of choice for many people when they need to create flyers, newsletters. Nothing is going to take Publisher's place with me. It is just so easy to use. If your wife is a teacher, she can go online at www.course.com and request a "Desk Copy" to review. The Cashman book or the Reding book for Publisher 2003 would be good for her and she can request copies of both texts. I have found the Course Technology folks a real pleasure to deal with and very helpful.
    After the home page opens, just type Publisher 2003 into the text book at the top right of the page. These books come with a CD for instructors offering the book illustrations as .JPG files so you have them available to make handouts or PowerPoints for your class.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

I'm not sure MS is phasing out Publisher altho one could make the case by the importing of Pub features by Word - eg, linked text boxes and the font drop-down menu showing the name of the font in the font itself). I know that people tend to use Word for flyers, etc. But we (my wife who uses DTP alot and myself who at least knows what DTP is all about) think that Word is still far from being a DTP program. Problem is that people use Word a lot for word processing and then try to adopt it to DTP. But things like booklets (eg, pages 1,2,7 and 8 on one sheet) are natural to Pub and a big kluge in Word.

Thanks for the suggestions. They've been passed on.

Fred

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Good luck! I'll be interested in hearing her decision on a textbook.
    It's good to talk with someone else who enjoys Publisher.