Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Maintain Links (any)

Hi All,

I often save web pages containing articles or other info to my PC. When I open up the page on my PC, the addr in IE is usually C:...Fredpagessaved-page.htm or something similar. That is not a big problem. Usually, the page has other links as well. However, they now are also in the above form. So if I wanted to get back to the original page on the web or to one of its links, I'm out of luck. I might get lucky and remember the page or be able to derive it from something on the saved page. That is not always the case. Sometimes, links on the page are still live in that I can hover on them and see on the status bar that they are still in the form of http://whatever.com/xyz.htm so I can click, but that is not always the case either (the links on the pg have been converted to C:...saved-page.htm.

Is there someway to always get back to the live page? I haven't thought about looking at the html code to see if it's there but, from other experiences, finding something in the html code is not very easy.

TIA

Fred

Thanks

Re: Maintain Links (any)

As you saving as a "complete" web page? This always creates a nest of local files. If you're interested in just the main page but with valid links back to the source web site, here is the process I used to use with IE5.5:
    1. <LI>Save as a Web Archive (MHT) file, then
      <LI>Open the MHT in the browser and save as HTML only.
    In the new HTM file, all the links in the page will point back to the source web site. Not sure why this worked, but it did! (Because an MHT file opens in a temp folder, you don't want to try to edit it without saving as an HTM first.)

Another option is to copy the URL to the clipboard, then open the saved page and, in the HEAD section, insert a BASE tag similar to:

<base href="http://www.wopr.com/cgi-bin/w3t/" />

This resolves all the relative links in the page back to the source folder of the page you saved. Or, at least it usually does. Sometimes things just don't work out the way you want.

Added: Sometimes IE adds a notation in the HTML source of a saved page giving the original address. If so, it usually is very near the top of the file.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Jefferson,

Thanks again.

I'd say 85% of the time I only save as an html-only file. I usually only want the text of a page so I can read it again (eg, court cases, tutorials wo graphics).

The rest of the time I save as entire page but I'm not sure what you mean by a nest of local files. I know saving the entire page includes certain "support" files like gifs for buttons, graphics, etc. I didn't think it saved descendant pages.

I recall there was an option in some old version of IE to save a page and descendant pages but I never used that and I think it's gone. I also never use the mht except by accident.

Fred

(PS: I had a chance to look at "Always Use Protection". Not exactly what I want since it's aimed at college students, but maybe it's a starting point. I also looked at this on Amazon where I could see other similar books. Nothing really hit me.)

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Try looking at the raw HTML of the main page saved. You may find that the original URL of the saved page is listed as a comment in the second line of the raw HTML. HTH
    Gre

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks unkamunka.

Is your suggestion the same as the item added by Jefferson?
    >Added: Sometimes IE adds a notation in the HTML source of a saved page giving the original address. If so, it usually is very near the top of the file.

you suggest it is the 2nd line but a comment; Jefferson said it was near the top (2nd line would be near the top) but didn't say it was a comment.

Fred

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Is your suggestion the same as the item added by Jefferson?

Yes. I hadn't checked for Jefferson's updates.
    Gre