Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Advise BEFORE I build (2002)

Hi,

I figured I'd ask for input before I spend hours creating a nightmare.

I have a database that has tblSales and tblStoreDemographics. The two are linked on [store_id]. tblSales contains billing data that is entered for each day of the month. When the user creates an invoice, the invoice is based on the sum of sales for the month with a variety of royalty formula's applied. All of this works fine. My problem is that they need to have one invoice number created for the bill and they need to have a box for comments that can be entered for that bill. This info needs to be saved so that if they need to recreate the bill the info is available. Where it gets sticky for me is that if adjustments are made after the billing they will need to create a new invoice.

I'm not sure how to achieve the invoice number and comments and then be able to store them. Any input on the best way to set this up would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Leesha

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Advise BEFORE I build (2002)

I would create a separate table tblInvoices, with fields:
    InvoiceID (primary key)
    Comments (text or memo)
    Fields needed to identify what the invoice is for, for example a start date and end date and a customer ID - what exactly depends on the situation.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Advise BEFORE I build (2002)

Jeeze Hans, I never thought of another table. I was trying to figure out which of the ones to put this into and then how to get it to work! It sounds like the concept is to use this just like I would a table to hold payment data and payment allocation data. What a concept!

Thanks!

Leesha