Lounger
    Thanks

Outlook and default business phone number

We have some users (2) who have problems when they add a new contact in their Outlook98 software (Norwegian). OS is NT 4.0 SP6 (English).

When they type name, address and all other information than the business phone number, all seem to be correct. But when they type the 8 digit number (standard Norwegian phone number) in the Business Phone field, some other phone number appear in brackets () in front of the number they just typed. If they type a 7 digit number, nothing strange happens. The same number appears in the brackets every time (the number of the guy who owned the computer before).

Both users are in the network, but I think this is a local problem, since no other users have similar problems.

I guess this has to do with default settings in some way, but I am not able to find out where these settings are, or where the phone number is stored.

Can anyone help me?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Outlook and default business phone number

I'm sure there's probably an easier way to find the telephone defaults, but you can get to them with the following steps. Right click on any contact. From the menu, choose Call Contact. From the Call Contact screen, click on Dialing Properties. This takes you to the defaults. You can set what country you are in here. In the US, we have area codes which come before the phone number. If there is anything in the area code field, it will show up before the telephone number in parentheses. This may be where your phantom telephone number is coming from. Hope this helps.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

what language/country is windows set to use? control panel > regional settings
    it sounds like outlook doesn't understand Norwegian phone number formatting.

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, both of you.
    I'll give it a try and see how it works.

Lounger
    Thanks

Your solution helped both my users. They had no idea how they had managed to put the phantom thelephone number in this field.

Thank you very much.