3 Star Lounger
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Assigned tasks not going to inbox (O2K)

Hi All,

We have a weird problem where assigned tasks are just being added to the task list for the assignee without them first appearing in the in-box or being accepted or declined .... has anyone seen this before. Is there some setting buried in the depths of Outlook that would cause this to happen. Have checked rules and there are no rules applied.

This one has me stumped.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Assigned tasks not going to inbox (O2K)

I found this as an entry in the Microsoft Support Site:

"Microsoft Outlook periodically checks the Inbox for task update messages. When a task update message appears, Outlook updates the task in your task list (task list: A list of tasks that appears in the Tasks folder and in the TaskPad in Calendar.) and deletes the message in Inbox for you. The new task information is saved with the task in your task list, so no information is lost."

Might this be the case?
    Regards,
    Rudi

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for your response Rudi but this issue is happening as soon as the task is sent. It doesn't appear in the inbox at all. Usually, the task is not moved to your task folder until is accepted. In this case you don't have the option to accept the task.

This one is driving me nuts. Trying to promote the use of tasks and just cant figure out why it is not working as it should. (BTW we are a training firm and have images for OL98, 2000, XP and 2003 and it is only on the 2000 image that this is happening.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Karen,

I seem to be stumped too now! I have Googled, searched the Microsoft Support site, searched the Microsoft Knowledge Base, and nothing seems to come up regarding Tasks not being sent!!!

If a task is assigned to someone, it sould be treated as a special email message. I find it strange that it does not go to the Inbox??? Are you sure you are assigning it to the correct email address? Also, sometimes (esp. if you are testing it), once its assigned...click the Send/Recieve button on the Inbox Toolbar! Does the task appear then! Also, is standard email working for the recipient that you are trying to send the task to?
    Regards,
    Rudi

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Karen,
    I'm taking a fat chance here, but its worth checking out!

If you choose Tools | Options, click the Calendar Options button, and then click Resource Scheduling! Check to see if the option for Automatically accept meeting requests and process cancellations is NOT checked. If checked, Outlook processes these requests automatically. I know this has to do with meeting requests...but switch it off if it is active...and see if this solves the problem!
    Regards,
    Rudi

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for your help Rudi .... the meeting requests weren't set to process automatically. The problem was only when sending tasks from one mailbox. I blew away the mail box and reimaged the pc and all was fine .... Don't you love training environments when there is no real data :-)

Still would like to work out what caused it though, because if we can do it accidentally then sure as heck someone out there in user-land will do it.