Lounger
    Thanks

Word Opening in Design Mode (2002 SP3)

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by jscher2000 on 27-May-05 13:03. Changed subject line to something more descriptive.)</P>I have a user where Word keeps opening in Design Mode by default. Can't find out why.

Thanks

Re: Word Opening in Design Mode (2002 SP3)

Does it affect particular templates? If you use the Control Toolbox to insert checkboxes or other ActiveX controls into a template and leave the template in design mode, new documents created from that template probably will open in design mode, at least that is what I think based on earlier posts here in the Lounge. See if you can find out more information about the affected documents and whether they have anything from the Control Toolbox in them.

Lounger
    Thanks

Hi, the problem was the security setting in Word macros - this was set to High, so when certain templates were running from the Startup folder, Word was opening in Design mode. I've now set the setting to Low and all is well.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I would recommend setting macro security to Medium. Setting it to Low means that you don't get any warning if the document contains macros. While this may be desirable 99% of the time, you also won't be warned if a document that shouldn't contain macros has become infected with a macro virus. To avoid getting the warning for installed add-ins, select Tools | Macro | Security, activate the Trusted Sources tab and tick "Trust all installed add-ins and templates".