Thread: BEWARE

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

BEWARE

I have a computer with an Intel D915GAV motherboard which I am using to do some video editing. In my experience with video editing I have found that the more memory you have the faster things go so, after checking the manual, I purchased and installed 4GB of memory.

Imagine my surprise when the message "MEMORY CONSUMED BY SYSTEM RESOURCES 1152MB" appeared on restart. I know that in some cases the PCI and PCI Express systems map some of the memory above 3GB making it unavailable to the operatiing system but 1152MB!!!!!! That's over 25% of available memory!

Needless to say I have sent Intel a 'stern' e-mail but to be honest I don't expect a reply other than caveat emptor.

Windows XP reports my almost 3GB of memory and the video editing software hums along nicely but I do object to giving up my hard earned cash for something I'm not using. Oh well.

Regards,
    Kevin Bell

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Re: BEWARE

Here's a posting about the same issue: Tim Anderson's ITWriting. It basically says that this is a motherboard issue not limited to Intel and that the motherboard guide does reference this issue.

Joe
    Joe