4 Star Lounger
    Guelph, Ontario, Canada

Prevent Save of empty Invice (2000 all updates)

I have an Invoice form which contains basic information about the customer (the customer is a Camper in a campground). There are 2 subforms - one for service items, and the other for Credits.

Since this is a seasonal operation, a camper would not normally be invoiced twice for the same service. I therefore have put the following code on cboServices control on the services subform...

Private Sub cboService_AfterUpdate()
    Dim txtTemp As Variant
    Dim txtTemp2 As Variant

txtTemp = DLookup("[CamperID]", "qryTest", "[CamperID] = Forms!frmInvoice!CamperID AND [Service]=Forms!frmInvoice.Form!tblInvoiceDetails!cboServic e")
    txtTemp2 = DMax("[InvoiceYear]", "qryTest")

If Not IsNull(txtTemp) And Year(Forms!frmInvoice!InvDate) = txtTemp2 Then

Select Case MsgBox("You already have this Service invoiced for" _
    & vbCrLf & Forms!frmInvoice!CamperFirst & " " & Forms!frmInvoice!CamperLast & " for this Camping Year." _
    & vbCrLf & " Is this a duplicate entry?" _
    , vbYesNo Or vbExclamation Or vbDefaultButton1, "Possible duplicate service")
    Case vbYes
    Call MsgBox("Thank you. The entry will be cancelled.", vbExclamation Or vbDefaultButton1, "Entry cancelled")

Exit Sub

Case vbNo
    Call MsgBox("Thank you. Entry will be accepted." _
    & vbCrLf & " Please continue." _
    , vbExclamation Or vbDefaultButton1, "Entry accepted.")

End Select
    End If

Me.Rate = DLookup("[Rate]", "[tblRate]", "[RateID]=Forms!frmInvoice!tblInvoiceDetails.Form!cboServic e")
    End Sub

If the user enters a service, and gets the "possible duplicate" message and answers Yes, the entry is undone... but if this results in an empty invoice it should not be saved, so what I need is code which prevents the saving of an empty invoice.

On the Before Update event for the form itself, I have put the following code. Text16 and Text59 are totals for service and credit amounts. If both are $0.00 then the invoice should be completely undone and not saved. However this code does not do the job.

If Me.Dirty Then
    If Me.Text16 = 0 And Me.Text59 = 0 Then
    Call MsgBox("There are no entries in either Services or Credits." _
    & vbCrLf & " Invoice will not be saved." _
    , vbExclamation, "No Services or Credits")
    DoCmd.DoMenuItem acFormBar, acEditMenu, 8, , acMenuVer70
    DoCmd.DoMenuItem acFormBar, acEditMenu, 6, , acMenuVer70
    End If
    End If

Any suggestions as to what I need further to add?

Super Moderator
    Evergreen, CO, USA

Re: Prevent Save of empty Invice (2000 all updates)

One method of cancelling the addition of a record is to use the Send Keys funtion to seen two ESC keys. This presumes that your form is bound - using a subform usually implies that. The end result is the same operation that you get if a user starts to add a record and then presses the Escape key twice, which cancels an add or edit process.

(Apologies for the delay in responses - many of us are away for the weekend.)