2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Starting w Personal Setttings (XP Home upg SR2)

Since upgrading to SR2, XP Home takes about 2 mins to load my personal settings. I use AVG, Ad-Aware, MSAntispyware beta. I have defragged. I have switched off prefetch. I have checked for ghost and active drivers not loading. The HD is at 60% capactiy. Anything else to look at?

Regards
    Will

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Starting w Personal Setttings (XP Home upg SR2

I run XP Pro rather than Home, so that's the first difference between us. I think there was a general "buzz" about the OS loading slower with SP2 but I don't remember much about it. Obviously, comparisons are difficult, if not impossible because of the variations in WHAT we load. I just checked my system and from the Post beep to the XP Welcome Screen takes about 50 seconds. From the time I enter my password and press enter, another 2 minutes or so elapse but I have a number of apps running at startup, such as the Palm Desktop, ClipMate, PC-cillin, Sygate firewall, etc. I measured that (approx.) 2 minutes time to the point where the last icon appears in the tray and I can start my first application, usually Mozilla. Even though I have the XP firewall turned off, I suppose that "process" adds to the startup time. I dunno what to say to you, unless you want to post a screenshot of your MSCONFIG startup and see if someone here can spot something.

Edited later: I suppose you and one or more of us here could temporarily un-check everything in MSCONFIG to get an idea what our times would look like compared to yours.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Re: Starting w Personal Setttings (XP Home upg SR2)

Switching off prefetch may hurt more. The purpose is to track what is being loaded at startup so Windows can arrange your drive to load those programs faster at startup. The best thing to do (and it will take some time) is to do what BigAl suggested and use msconfig to disable
    all your startup programs. Then add them in one at a time and re-boot the system to see which is/are causing the problem.

Joe
    Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the steer, guys.
    http://www.theeldergeek.com/wireless...figuration.htm
    gave me the explanation and reassurance, and now I'm running much better!

**EDITED I guess it leaves open the question which of the applications offered as a service in XP SP2 was my resource hog. Or was it that my broadband connection would not log in automatically - I had gotten used to just manually telling it to log in.

And today, after a clean boot, it's looking to reinstall Alerter, whcih I had disabled.

Gratefully

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

For the benefit of someone else, I was going to edit your link to make it clickable but it doesn't seem to address the question at hand. Did you perchance post the wrong link?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Edited by Bigaldoc to add URL code.[/i] See the Quick Guide or 1-Click TagPanel. This <!post=StarPost is VERY helpful too.,438749>StarPost is VERY helpful too.<!/post>

Yes, BigAl, kind of. The link I gave is follows on from the link I'm now posting.

Try this
    Services Guide for Windows XP