New Lounger
    Thanks

Add 'View Comments' Button

I have been trying to add a Button to a toolbar to view comments in Word 97 SR-2 (equivalent to Comments from the View menu).

I have successfully added several other buttons using Tools | Customize... | Commands. However, when I dragged the Comments command from the view menu, the button appeared on the toolbar as 'Edit Comment', and behaved as such. [img]/w3timages/icons/frown.gif[/img] (I also tried it from 'All Commands', where it appears as ViewAnnotations, but this had the same effect.)

Since I have tried this on three different systems it seems unlikely that my files are corrupted and I presume it is a bug. I tried the MS Knowledge Base, but did not find any reference to it. I can't spot any patches on the Microsoft Download Center.

Is there a patch or workaround (without having to create macros)?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Add 'View Comments' Button

This sure does seem like a bug - have just tried it on Word 2000 and saw the same problem.

If you run the "ViewAnnotations" command directly via Tools/Macro/Macros/Word Commands, it does do what you would expect.

In any case, the following code was derived by recording the action of clicking on the View/Comments menu item:

ActiveWindow.View.SplitSpecial = wdPaneComments

Surprisingly this code works as a toggle if you run it successively.

So all you need to do is install a macro containing this one line of code, into a global template, and then assign the macro to a toolbar button.
    Via Customize you can copy the button face from the built-in View/Comments command, and paste that in as the button face for your new custom button.[img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Guys:
    I just tried it in Word 2000 and it works. I dragged ViewAnnotations to a toolbar & when I press it, I view annotations. How does it work for you, Gary?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Well, now I'm just confused! - have just tried this on my home setup, and it does work, as you say.
    But when I tried this last night at work, I thought it wasn't working. It'll be a couple of days before I can go back and try it again there.[img]/w3timages/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

One thing I noticed. The tooltip for the button says "Edit Comment", although it's name is ViewAnnotations. There is no Edit Comment command per say, so far as I can tell. ViewAnnotations is Edit Comment, unless I'm misunderstanding the problem.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry to take so long to acknowledge your post, but I have been tied up with other work.

I have now tried your suggestions and they all worked, thanks (although I had to do the macro by recording, as my attempt to create the macro directly failed, due to my lack of practice). I now thus have the 'View Comments' button on my toolbar, and it works as expected.

It is perhaps not so surprising that the code works as a toggle, since that is what the View|Comments menu item does, even though the names in the VBA code do not suggest this.

By the way, is there a recognised way of notifying Microsoft of bugs, and perhaps of checking a list of bugs known to them? I could submit is as a question to a Support Professional through their Product Support Services page, but there may be a preferred route.

Very many thanks for your help.