3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Slipstreaming using OEM version of Windows (XP Pro SP2)

I am thinking of making a slipstreamed CD with an OEM version (Dell) of Windows XP Pro SP1a and an SP2 CD. Will an OEM version behave properly? I have seen some suggestions that it will not work in the creation of a slipstreamed CD. Will AutoStreamer do the job using an OEM version? I would appreciate your collective wisdom!
    Many thanks
    Dianne

Thanks

Re: Slipstreaming using OEM version of Windows (XP Pro SP2)

Dianne,
    As you probably know, Slipstreaming is merely combining an original version with later updates onto a single CD. In this case XPSP1 with SP2, if I read you right.
    I don't see why Autostreamer would not do the job properly for you.

I am basing this opinion only on logic and not researching the thought any further or hearing of any particular glitches with doing this. You might want to google the question to see any other thoughts on this.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Slipstreaming using OEM version of Windows (XP

There is an issue with slipstreaming some Dell OEM versions. See Slipstreaming XPSP2 fails with "files missing" - Software - Windows Service Packs - Dell Community Forum and follow the link in the reply to see the solution.

Thanks

Good old Dell.
    Don't see why they can't supply an unaltered version of the operating system with their hardware.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you ,Tony and Viking. As much as I am a happy consumer of Dell products, I can see that this is an irksome problem created by Dell, and looks like a weekend's worth of messing about to carry out what should be a straightforward task. It confirms advice given on some sites about using OEM versions provided by Dell.
    Dianne

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I note that the instructions given for the Dell slipstreaming problem cover the use of a Dell recovery CD. I was given a separate copy of Windows, so will go ahead and try the standard method for slipstreaming. Is there any way I can check the integrity and functionality of the slipstreamed CD before I am forced to use it when disaster strikes?
    Dianne

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

There is no easy way short of an installation.

Joe
    Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you, Joe. I suspected as much. My concern arises from the fact that the Dell - supplied WIndows CD installation could not be authenticated online by MS in the standard way, and that there may be something "missing" or flawed in a slipstreamed CD made using it. Time (and disaster) will reveal all.................
    Dianne

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

The slipstreaming process with AutoStreamer ran very smoothly. The burned image size (541MB) is slightly smaller than the size of the original XP Pro CD from Dell (549 MB) , and the final CD includes some Dell OEM files. Have attached an image of the files on the slipstreamed CD. Would appreciate any commentary on whether they are as expected before I take the plunge.
    Many thanks
    Dianne

Administrator
    Thanks

Looks reasonable to me except that the file win51ip.sp1 is win51ip.sp2 on my slipstreamed CD. That may be significant. BTW, the Dell CD could not be validated by MS because it is an OEM CD. Those are specially licensed by MS to the OEM (Dell in this case).

Joe
    Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I strongly suspect that this CD should go binwards the way of all rejects, and the long method of XP repair followed by SP2 installation is the safer way to go.
    Many thanks
    Dianne

Thanks

Good article on slipstreaming at this site http://www.helpwithwindows.com/WindowsXP/w...sp2-bootcd.html

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you for the lead. Again, the issue with Dell CDs is highlighted as a problem. If I can find the time, I will use the long-winded process described on the VBdotNet site- looks not only time consuming but a challenge!
    Dianne

Administrator
    Thanks

Dianne,

If you did not receive the error message then the integration went OK. Just in case you could keep the original Windows CD and SP-2 CD so that if you tried to install the slipstreamed version and had problems you could go back to square one. Just be sure that when the system is loaded you install a good thrid party firewall. Then run Windows Update ASAP. Then install all your other protection tools before installing any applications.

Joe
    Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Joe, thanks for the excellent advice. At present things are running reasonably well, but occasional signs of a degradation in Windows suggest that advance preparation is wise! And as you say, having the two original discs on hand will cover me nicely.
    Dianne