Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Using Event Viewer (XP Pro)

We would need a lot more information about your Event 1003 to be able to guess what it means, try looking at www.eventid.net for some suggestions.

StuartR

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Using Event Viewer (XP Pro)

Edited by <!profile=StuartR>StuartR<!/profile> to make link to post number clickable, using the syntax <!t>[post: 465260]<!/t>

I am having a continuous reboot issue. On Friday, I mistakenly pressed the power button on my desktop instead of the restart button (in order to get the flatpanel to light up...have to do that often) That set off a continuous reboot cycle that I C+A+D'd out of. Happened again today, and <post#=465260>post 465260</post: > et al. got me into the Event Viewer. So I have an ERROR event on the system event viewer. Category (102) and Event 1003. How do I go about using that data to determine the problem? TYIA

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you for the quick reply. The Event Log shows this:
    Type Date Time Source Category Event User Computer
    Error 5/30/2005 11:29:12 AM System Error -102 1003 N/A G1M0B7
    Not particularly informative. I will visit that site and see what goes.
    I have ERUNT. Woud restoring an old Registry do any good? I ran its Registry optimization tool after the first incident.

Thanks

The first thing I would do is to try to stop the auto reboot.

Right click My Computer, then click properties>advanced>start up recovery>settings.
    UN check "auto restart" box.

Now if you still a problem you may be able to see more information as to what is causing it. Since you are having problems with your flat panel, I would check to see if it has the current drivers for it at the manufacturers website.

Start there and post back with any results or more detail.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Event 1003 with a source of system is described here, but I can't see an error code of 102 on that page.

StuartR

Thanks

You should also check out this MS link, where it mentions that this could be caused by a variant of the SDBOT virus.

Worth a look at ERROR 102 ( at entry # 2 )
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you for that reference. I am printing it out and will start looking at all those zeros shortly! The article mentions the Malicious software removal tool. Any comments on using that? Wouldn't Spybot do the job? I also have the free AVG program running.
    A followup to the disabling of the Automatically restart box: if that is deselected, and the same thing happens, would XP then fail to start, or would it proceed to the Serious Error Message and keep going? I wouldn't want to deselect that and then wind up unable to get into Windows at all. At least now I can and see the event logs.

Thanks

----------------------------------
    Wouldn't Spybot do the job?
    ----------------------------------
    I think you will find by browsing through some of the Spyware threads, that most Loungers depend on a combination of progs, like Spybot S&D, Adaware SE, and the MS anti malware program and others to keep their systems clean and free of that junk. One will pick out one thing and another will find others.

Auto restart will happen when any serious error occurs and will not allow you to really determine WHAT the cause was. It just reboots and hopes for the best. Xp will start and hopefully it will work OK until the next error occurs. At least this will give you a chance to see a screen that describes the problem to you. I have had this auto restart disabled along with the other options on that page to send an error report and all that. Works for me !
    BOB

Today it is called golf!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Ok. Thanks alot everyone! I'll see what happens and post back later.