Silver Lounger
    Thanks

TOA-keep underlining (2003)

Hi All,

As you can probably tell from a previous post, I'm working on a project that involves a TOA. Another problem, this one not due to my fat fingers.

The form of citation that is needed is, for cases:
    spy v. spy, 1 US 1 (3000)

where "spy v. spy" is underlined.

I type the citation per above (with the underlining) and select it to serve as the basis for the authority. I hit SHIFT+ALT+i to bring up the dialog box for adding the TA field. In the dialog box, I see the selected text, including the underlined "spy v. spy". However, when I look at the subsequently-inserted TA field, "spy v. spy" is not underlined. Of course, the entire TA field is hidden. If I select "spy v. spy" in the TA field, the "U" button on the Formatting toolbar is on but nothing shows. So I try to underline "spy v. spy" in the TA field manually. Even though the toolbar shows that underlining is on when I select "spy v. spy" in the TA field, nothing shows.

More importantly, the resulting Table of Authorities does not show underlining for "spy v. spy". I do have the checkbox for "Keep original formatting" checked, so I would have thought the original underlining would show.

I know that I can manually go into the TOA and underline the needed parts. But I already did it once so why should I have to do it again?

Any ideas on why the underlining is not coming thru (eg, can't have underlining in hidden text) and how to get Word to pick up what I already did?

TIA

Fred

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: TOA-keep underlining (2003)

I'm using Word 2003 and this appears to work for me - I wonder if you are choosing different switches in your fields.

The TOA field contains {TOA h c "1" p}
    The TA fields contain {TA l "formatted text" s "formatted text" c 1}
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Andrew,

I just checked the field codes of my 4 TOA's (Cases, Constitutions, etc). One had a f switch (to remove formatting) and the other 3 did not. I removed the f switch and updated all 4 fields. No underlining. (A few had the p switch for "passim" which I removed but I don't think this affects anything.)

One difference as I mentioned in my first post: when I look at the TA field, neither the l nor the s switch appears underlined even thought the formatting toolbar shows things as underlined. When I selected my text to mark the entry, the "spy v. spy" was underlined in the "Selected Text" part of the dialog box.

I do wonder if my approach to underlining could be the problem. As mentioned in the original post, the form of the entry is
    spy v. spy, 1 U.S. 1 (3000)
    with the "spy v. spy" underlined.

The way I did the underlining was to create a character style called something like "Citation Bgng". When I type the citation using my para style, I go back and apply Citation Bgng to the "spy v. spy", then I select the entire citation and hit Alt+Shift+i to mark the item. The TA field looks OK other than not seeing any underlining in the hidden text.

I don't see anything wrong with this (other than the underlining issue).

Fred

Super Moderator
    Thanks

It appears that Word doesn't like the use of character styles inside the TA fields. If I format the underlining by using a character style then I don't get the underlining in the TOA but I do if I use the direct formatting method to apply the underlining.

This appears to be intentional by MS because the Table of Authorities entries are locally formatted somewhat beyond the actual style definition. You can see what I mean if you select the TOA text and remove any non-paragraph style related formatting by pressing Ctrl-Space and Ctrl-Q.

I guess you are stuck between a rock and a hard place - Character styles for consistency Vs Local Formatting to make it work.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the answer, Andrew.

>I guess you are stuck between a rock and a hard place - Character styles for consistency Vs Local Formatting to make it work.

so, one time when using styles is not the correct approach. Is anyone keeping track of these? Will the list get to double digits?

Fred