Star Lounger
    Thanks

System Restore not working (Windows XP)

Hi,

I'm having a nightmare with my laptop - cannot press CTRL+ALT+DEL to get to Task List, cannot get to Add/Remove Programs, cannot download Updates, Windows crashes all the time, blue screens, IE fails to launch etc etc.

I've tried using System Restore, but when it completes the process it just says System Restore cannot make any changes. I've tried it for different dates to no avail. Is there something obvious I could try or should I just forget System Restore? Is there a program someone could recommend for dealing with nasties or missing files in Windows and the registry?

Thanks, Laurie

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: System Restore not working (Windows XP)

Hi,

this reminds me of a time when I got the same message on System Restore - I think it may have been because some files were in use that needed to be 'restored/removed'...

I found that when i started the PC in Safe Mode ( pressing F8 <<i think>> during the boot sequence ) then ran system restore windows did indeed roll back to an earlier and functional time.

Try this i would suggest, and if not then the famous reinstall windows options may have to be employed to regain system stability. The best option would be to backup all necessary data and do a clean reinstall, but sometimes an 'overlay' install will help by reinstalling system critical files.

hope this is of some help
    Thanks,

pmatz

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Brilliant. Thanks very much for this - tried it last night in safe mode as suggested and it worked.

However, although its working better I'm still having a few problems. Most notable/irritating is that:

1. I can't launch Task Manager. When I do CTRL+ALT+DEL nothing happens, except sometimes I get a funny green icon in the System Tray. But the icon doesn't do anything when you click it.

2. When I go to log off I usually get some End Program/Program not Responding messages (the one where it tells you wait while it saves the data). Usually these are for things called SysFader or TskMsger or similar.

I'd really appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks, Laurie

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Check out the suggestions at T Page - Windows XP from A to Z on Kellys Korner.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for this. Sorry for the delay in replying, haven't had a chance to try anything until today. Tried a few of the things from this page without success unfortunately. I definitely have a virus. Am going to post in the Spyware forum to see if anyone has any ideas.

Thanks again

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Have you run full A/V and Spyware scans? You can also try Trend Micro - Free online virus Scan.

Joe
    Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks

yes i have done several and good news, 1 I tried from Panda seems to have fixed it. Fingers crossed it doesn't reappear.

Thanks for your help.