New Lounger
    Thanks

lost use of Word 97 (Microsoft Office 97)

Running Windows XP with all updates of McAfee Virus scans and can no longer open old or existing word documents. Looks like system tries to locate and open but never successful.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: lost use of Word 97 (Microsoft Office 97)

Welcome to the lounge.
    <UL><LI>Does this happen when you double click a post, and when you try to open a post from Word's File > Open menu?
    <LI>Did it used to work properly?
    <LI>Does everything else still seem to work properly?
    <LI>Have you made any changes or installed any software?[/list]StuartR

Thanks

So if I understand right you have Word documents on your system and Word 97 installed. Does Word 97 run when you open it (rather than try to open an existing document)? If so can you create a file, save it and then open it again? In File Options in Windows Explorer is Word associated with .doc files? (Check by opening a Windows folder then Tools -> Folder options -> File Types.) Do you have the discs to reinstall Word 97 if you have to?

Ian

New Lounger
    Thanks

all Office applications are not working. With either an existing document or a new document, the hour glass appears, works for several minutes and then the alert is displayed that Windows cannot find document and gives me directions on how to search for a document. Eventually, old document appears with a semblance of the title bar,gray areas. If I click on the title bar, everything goes white. New documents, books for Word, Excel, and Power point all act the same way. No new software has been added except whatever is downloaded by way of Virus updates. No other changes. Office was working well previously. Everything else on computer seems to be working.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Word 97 was installed. Had old word documents saved. Cannot open Word by way of menu or from saved documents folder. Word documents are saved as ".docs". Not certain if I can locate original installation discs for Word 97. I am looking for them. I do not make many changes in any software and have never had software corrupted or give me a problem. No backup either.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I recently had the same kind of problem after updating McAfee Firewall. Couldn't connect to the mailservers for my various accounts. I had WinXP use a Restore point from the day before the update and all was OK again. Then McAfee wanted to update on the next boot of course. And this second attempt was succesful.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

There seem to be only two potential causes of these symptoms. <!profile=JanB>JanB<!/profile> is very likely correct, so try restoring to a restore point from before the problem started. The only other likely cause is some kind of malware or adware that is not detected by McAfee. Do you have any anti adware products installed?

StuartR

New Lounger
    Thanks

Many thanks. I restored and was able to access and open all the Microsoft Office 97 applications I have. As I respond, McAfee is again downloading. I will check to see if I am still okay after their update. Thank you all.