2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Displaying English Tax years (Access 2000 / Windows 98)

I wanted a report that printed out the English Tax year in a text box at the top of the report, in the form 6th April 2005 to 5th April 2006 and when next year comes round it must change it to 2006 to 2007.

That 's fairly straight forward. The problem was that if you are doing a report before 5th April it should show 2004 to 2005 and after the 6th April it should show 2005 to 2006.

I am quite sure that Hans or one of you other experts will have a much better solution, but I was so pleased I was able to crack it, I thought that some of you might be interested in my solutuion.

=IIf(Year(Now()-96)-Year(Now())<0,"6th April " & Year(Now()-365) & " and 5th April " & Year(Now()),"6th April " & Year(Now()) & " and 5th April" & Year(Now()+365))

I've used the year function, to get the current year Year(Now), which I had not tried before and by subtracting 96 from Now(), it checks to see if the day is before or past 6th April (allowing for leap years). The rest is pretty straight forward.

I get so much help from this board and feel guilty that I can't put much back in, but perhaps something like this may help a bit

Michael Peak
    Morecambe England

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Displaying English Tax years (Access 2000 / Windows 98)

Thank you Hans -

Two problems though

I pasted it in and it would not work

I tried just = year([d]) and that didn't work

Is it version specific ? like 2003?

If I can get it working it will help in lots of other instances when I've said "Oh forget leap years"

Michael

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Edited by HansV to correct mistake

Your expression works correctly almost every day of the year, but not on the 6th of April in non-leap years. Here is an alternative expression that handles those dates too:

="6th April " & Year(Date())-1-(Date()>DateSerial(Year(Date()),4,5)) & " and 5th April " & Year(Date())-(Date()>DateSerial(Year(Date()),4,5))

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Oops - sorry about that. I just pasted my test expression which used a date d without changing it to Date() (I obviously couldn't test it with just the current date). I have corrected my reply.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Hans

Great it works fine

DateSerial(Year(Date()),4,5) has opened up a whole new world to explore!

Best wishes
    Michael