New Lounger
    Thanks

Error 3163 - Please Assist

When I try to compact my database I get the following error:

"Error 3163... Field is too small to accept the amount of data you attempted to add. Try inserting or pasting less data."

I am clueless what this means or stems from. I did a Repair, but the problem still occurs.

Any ideas how to correct it?

I am using Access 97 and Win. 98.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Error 3163 - Please Assist

Check your tables and make sure you don't have any default values that are bigger than the field size can handle.

If that doesn't work, try pulling out any tables with memo fields and putting them into another database temporarily. If your database compacts without the memo fields, you probably have a corrupted memo field and you'll have to track down the table and eliminate the memo field in order to get it to behave in your main database. Once you've compacted it, you should be able to add a memo field to your table design, create a link to the errant table in the other database, and use an update query to repopulate the new memo field. You might also want to truncate the entries to some reasonable length to make sure you don't pick up whatever caused the original corruption.
    Charlotte

New Lounger
    Thanks

Got it!

Found 3 corrupted records.

Thanks.

Chad