Star Lounger
    Thanks

Word hangs with captions and graphics (word 2003)

I have a 50 page document that contains in line graphics, tables and captions. Yesterday it was fine. Today, whenever I click in the document to edit text, there is a 5-10 second delay before the hourglass disappears. At that point I can edit text or type new text. Anyone have any ideas?
    I turned off Background saves, repagination & revision marks. It's only this document, no others (as far as I can tell)
    Any ideas?
    Thanks

Thanks

Re: Word hangs with captions and graphics (2003)

I can understand a delay when opening or repaginating, but simply moving the insertion point around usually does not cause that kind of delay.

Does your document contain any links to external content that might be getting refreshed more frequently that necessary? (For example, if your pictures are linked rather than just being plain pictures.)

Is it possible that memory is so tight (i.e., many other applications open) that Word is being forced to use slower disk space (Windows swap file) in the place of faster RAM memory?

Star Lounger
    Thanks

No. It's a reference guide for an application, so there are screen shots in tables (made it easier to autocaption figures)
    I have been working on the document for weeks and have had no problems up until now. I was thinking it was word and not the document because I just got a new image this morning. All other word documents are working fine.
    I created a new document and grabbed about 5 pages of the guide with screens and it was fine. I also tried copying the document except the last para mark into a new document...same issue

Thanks

When you say a "new image" do you mean your hard drive was wiped and re-imaged? One could only guess at the dozens of changes that might have made to your settings...

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Word hangs with captions and graphics (word 20

It sounds like you have picked up a corruption somewhere in the file. Save the file out in RTF or XML formats and try reopening that file.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Thanks

If it's a document you have been working on for weeks, can you access a backup of a version of it from before the problem began and test whether that is still OK?

Ian