Star Lounger
    Thanks

Counting the number of days in a range of dates (2000/2003)

I need help with a formula that will count the number of days in a range of dates by month. The column heading on the data worksheet is Date Issue Opened (The spreadsheet tracks issues reported to our HR department) The column is simply formatted as dates in the MM/DD/YY format. I need to create a report on a separate worksheet that references the dates and gives a simple count of the number of issues reported in a particular month. Each row on the report page will be a month:
    .........A.............................B
    1..MONTH: Number of Isues Reported
    2..Jan.........................12
    3..Feb.........................21
    4..Mar.........................14
    ETC

So what I need is a formula for each month that will reference the entire column of dates on the data worksheet that will pull out only the days in the associated month, i.e. there are14 issues reported in January, 21 reported in Feb, 12 reported in Mar, etc. I can modify the formula on the report page for each month and of course can change the date formatting on the data worksheet as well to make the counting of the dates by month easier if that is necessary. I have tried COUNT and COUNTIF but I can't figure out how to set up the criteria so it only counts/filters a specific month.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Counting the number of days in a range of dates (2000/2003)

Edited by HansV to correct typo (thanks to <!profile=Rudi>Rudi<!/profile> for pointing it out!)

The easiest way to do this is a pivot table. If you create a pivot table, with the date as row field and also as data field (with function COUNT), you'll get a pivot table grouped by date. Click on one of the dates or on the gray row field button, then select Pivot Table | Group and Outline | Group... from the Pivot Table toolbar. Click the Months option, then click OK.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

OK, this is starting to work. It took me a while and some reformatting of the date column. I had to add another column that display only the month and year so that it would come up with a total number of issues for each month.

Now, they want to include data from multiple worksheets. I am trying to find out how to include multiple worksheets in a pivot table, but if you have any knowledge on how to do this that would be great.

Thanks again for the help.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The first step of the Pivot Table Wizard has an option to create a pivot table from multiple consolidation ranges. I don't have much experience with this option; you will find some info in Microsoft Office Assistance: PivotTable reports 101.