Lounger
    Thanks

Searching across multiple contact folders

I have an office using Outlook 2000 and Exchange 5.5. We have set up our Contacts folders so that everyone can see them. (For instance, John, Lisa, Dave and Steve can see each others contact folders by going to File|Open|Open User's Folder).

What I would like is for a user to be able to search across all contact folders he has access to. Sort of an uber-Advanced Find. But, I know Advanced Find won't let you search in multiple folders.

Has anyone written a script or seen a utility that allows for this functionality?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Mary

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Searching across multiple contact folders

I haven't seen anything like this. It would be a little funky because you'd have to travel two paths, the searcher's and the others' and build a list combining the two. Have you considered a public folder instead?

Lounger
    Thanks

We actually use public folders already - the problems public folders (for my company - not meant to be a blanket statement):
    > We can't sync them to Blackberries or Palm devices.
    > Users generally end up keeping two records, one in their Contacts and one in the public folder - invariably the public folder one gets neglected.
    > Users forget to put the info in the public folder.
    > Users don't know they should put info in the public folder (they don't know the info would be of interest.).

The inertia here is strong and work habits are stronger - there is no way I'm going to get folks to keep public folders updated. In this case, the mountain's gotta go to Mohammed ...

I'll keep looking, will share back anything I find.

M

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I guess it's nice to know we're not alone...

You might check out MS article Q241094 for a possible approach. It discusses working with two OL address books, but it seems like the technique could be extended. I only scanned this. Haven't tried it. Since it involves tweeks to profiles I'd try it on a test bed first. Good luck

gearjammer

Mary,

Retriever from 80-20 Software .... www.80-20.com might do the trick. It does a fully indexed multi-folder search across all Outlook folders the user can see ... does not work on Outlook 97.

Cheers
    David.