Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Access compatabilities (2002)

Hi,

I have access 2002 on my computer. I'm setting up a database on a machine with access 2000 on it and am running into issues with code - as in getting errors that I don't get when it runs on my laptop. I've made sure the MS DAO3.6 library is installed. Is there anything else I should be looking for or should I expect to run into these issues?

Thanks,
    Leesha

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Access compatabilities (2002)

Can you be more specific about the errors you get?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Make sure the Access 2000 machine has Service Pack 3 applied for Office 2000 or you definitely will run into problems. Take a look at MSKB article 304548 for more information about that.
    Charlotte

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

HI,

It is a runtime error #3141 - "The select statement includes a reserved word or argument name that is misspelled or missing, or punctuation is incorrect.

The code that is highlighted on the debug screen is DoCmd.OpenForm "frmStoreDemographics", acNormal

Leesha

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Charlotte,

I did check and it is SP3.

Leesha

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I don't see anything wrong with that, but try omitting the ", acNormal" part:

DoCmd.OpenForm "frmStoreDemographics"

Also check Tools | References... in the Visual Basic Editor on one of the problem machines. Are there references reported as MISSING?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

HI,

Taking out the acnormal didn't help. Re references missing, is there a way to check other than visualizing it? I compared it to my laptop and they seem identical.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

I just tried it another machine and same error, everything is identical. I hate to have these people purchase 2002 and find the same issue if there is something else I'm missing.

For more detail, frmStoreDemographicsLookup is being used to open frmStoreDemographics. frmStoreDemographics is set to open to the StoreID that is on frmStoreDemographicsLookup. If I select the storeID on frmStoreDemographicsLookup and then manually open frmStoreDemographics I get the same error message. I'm thinking the error has to do frmStoreDemographics. I haven't found anything on frmStoredemographics that seems out of place and as I said before, it opens fine in 2002 on my laptop,.
    Thanks,
    Leesha

Leesha

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

OK, here's what I found. I went into frmStoreDemographics which has a query that comes from tblStoreDemographics and is set to filter the storeID on frmStoreDemographicsLookup. This all runs fine on my machine. When I opened it on these machines it is no longer there as the control source. HUH? I went in to reset it up and when I saved it I got an erroe that says the string is too long has been truncted. Access then changes the sql and I'm back to square one. It is also happening on an invoice that has a pretty big query behind it. The query's are being revised/truncated/blown up!

Leesha

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Is this a saved query? If you are using a select string in the controlsource, you might be running into an issue of the allowable length of a SQL string. You could test it by using a saved query that points at the form instead of a select string in the property.
    Charlotte

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

No its not a saved query but a select string. I will see if this makes a difference. As an FYI, I tried the database on a machine with 2002 and its fine, its fine with 2003. It seems to only blow up in 2000. I even left the office and went to a friends house with 2000 and its the same issue.

Leesha

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Charlotte,

Just tried taking the SQL and putting it into a saved query and have the same error message. Question, is there a difference between 2000 and 2002 re how big a query can be? I hate to have this person purchase 2000 or 2003 if there is a way around it in 2000 or if that isn't the issue.

Thanks,
    Leesha

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The SQL string for a query can be up to 65,000 characters in length. I sincerely hope that your query isn't that big!
    Also, the maximum length of text in one cell in the query design grid is 1,024 characters and a parameter for the query can be at most 255 characters. Could that be the problem?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

God I hope I never have have a query that long! I don't "think" thats the issue. I say this only because it runs fine in 2002 and 2003 but blows up in 2000. I've now tested it on 5 machines with 2000. The only thing that will make me comfortable is to try it on a few more 2002's before I suggest that they upgrade. I'd hate to have them spend the money and find out it was in internal problem all along.

Leesha

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Hans,

So I'm anal and have the need to know and understand issues. I actually counted the number of characters in the string and its approx. 3,565. There are no text lengths in any one cell that are >1024 adn the parameters aren't >255.

Leesha

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast