4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Folder Structure (XP)

Hiya,

anyone know of a (preferrably free) utility which will scan a drive, for instance C: and make a report of the folder structure, for the 1st three tiers say, and each folder's security groups.

I can get all this info manually but thats a LOT of right clicking!! If not I will 'try' and use VB to do this, though might be posting back on the VB forum for some help with that one!!

I need to audit one of our servers as it is going to be migrated to another one, from NT to win2003.

thanks
    Thanks,

pmatz

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Folder Structure (XP)

Download and install Karen's Directory Printer

Select "Save to disk" tab, then "Folder info only", choose any information you want to be listed under "folder info" tab, then click "Save to disk" button and choose any name and location for report text file.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Folder Structure (XP)

Hey kaplinb, thanks for that - very neat and handy util, which gets me part of the way there [img]/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

What I need to go along with this is the security groups / permission settings for each folder. The utility gives me all the folders, their size and attributes, which is brilliant, and plenty to go on, but it may transpire that I need to migrate all the groups, so would need to somehow capture that information.

I wonder if this info can be got through the fso object... too late to start looking now, its 4am!

cheers
    Thanks,

pmatz