Sean

Spaces after right alignment

Our office is moving from WP to Word. In WP we could just align right and add spaces after the text to bring it back from the right margin. Like this

Your Ref.: 12345 | (right margin)
    Our Ref.: 123456789|

In Word, it looks like this because the spaces go off the page.

Your Ref.: 12345| (right margin)
    Our Ref.: 123456789|

How do you get rid of that ugly space after "Our Ref.:"?
    I hope this comes out so you can see what I mean.

Many Thanks,
    Sea

Sean

Re: Spaces after right alignment

Well, looks like the spaces didnt come out right, so I'll replace the spaces with "-"

------Your-Ref.:-12345----| (right margin)
    -------Our-Ref.:-123456789|

In Word,

------Your-Ref.:-----12345| (right margin)
    -------Our-Ref.:-123456789|

Regards,
    Sean

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Sean,

It looks like you're trying to get the start of the numbers after Your Ref and Our Ref to be aligned with each other. If that's what you're after, then using spaces from a right align is an awkward way to do this anyway. Why not just put a tab an appropriate distance after the "Ref:" - then the user types -TAB- 1234567 and everything lines up fine.

Hope I'm understanding the requirement - it is hard to get samples to line up here.

Gary

Lounger
    Thanks

This is one of the many features in WP that I miss in Word. In WP, you could use different alignments on the same line, e.g., left align the title, center align the page number, and right align the date--all on the same line. I have yet to find a simple way of doing this in Word.

Lounger
    Thanks

Gayle--
    Know what you mean. Sounds like you're trying for Header/Footer arrangements. Try 3-column, borderless tables. Adding a border even gives you an easy way to get a line across the page.

Jul

Super Moderator
    Thanks

You can certainly do this easily by using different alignment tabs, all in the same line. Use a left align tab for the title, a center tab for the page number, and a right align tab for the date.

A very quick way to get the different types of tabs is to click on the little box that is to the left of the horizontal ruler. Repeated clicks on this box cycles you through the available tab alignments. Then to insert a tab, simply click at a spot in the ruler where you want to insert a new tab.

To move an existing tab to the right or left, just click and drag it left or right, in the ruler. And to remove it, click on it and drag it off of the ruler.

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the input, Gary. Your's is actually the method I've been using. I just find it annoying to have to calculate the center myself and go thru all the steps to set up the 3 different tabs. It was ever so simple in WP. Wouldn't it be nice if Word would allow you to click on the left/center/right align buttons on the tool bar?!!

Lounger
    Thanks

I like that idea about the border line...spiffy! Thanks, Jul!

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

[Our office is moving from WP to Word. In WP we could just align right and add spaces after the text to bring it back from the right margin.}
    Try inserting a 'nonbreaking space': Ctrl+Shift+Space
    That will bpobably do what you want.

Bob_D

BAM

Why calculate? :-)

If you hold <Alt> or press both mouse buttons while working with the ruler, such as setting a tab, it will display it distance from the tab to both the left and right margin along with the margin settings.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Cheers!

Lounger
    Thanks

Hmmm, I've used the <Alt> key to position tabs more precisely, but I don't recall ever seeing ruler measurements appear (or maybe I just didn't notice!). What version of Word are you using? I have Word 97 at work. Will have to wait till Tuesday to check it out (Monday's a holiday here in Hawaii...yippee!).

Thanks

You only ever have to calculate the alignments once, if after you've done it you save the settings as a Style in the template concerned. So then you'd have a style called say DateLine and whenever you selected that style, your paragraph would have tabs in just the right places.

One way to do it would be to set tabs in a paragraph like you want it, then highlight the style box (where it probably says Normal) anda type DateLine (or whatever). That creates a style like you want, but only in this document. Then with the cursor still in that para you could go to Format->Style...->Modify then ceck the Add to Template box. You might also want to specify what style you want to follow DateLine - probably Normal - and then click OK.

Ian

Thanks

This is the default setting in the header and footer styles.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin