2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Access work email from home computer (Outlook XP)

I would like to download my work email to my home computer Outlook program. There are different ISP's that service my work location and the one I use at home. I know how to set up the settings if the ISP was the same for both computer locations, but how do I do it when the ISP's are different? Presently I can go on to our internet location and use web mail to access my work email, but would prefer to do it through Outlook on my home computer. Any help is greatly appreciated...thanks, John

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks

Re: Access work email from home computer (2002)

This may depend in part on the mail server technology, e.g., Exchange vs. POP3 vs. IMAP. Outlook can connect to any of these, but due to security and performance issues, you generally have better luck with the latter two than with an Exchange Server (although version 2003 is easier). Can your IT department help with the details?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

No, there is no one I can go to for help...that is the reason I posted my question here...John

Thanks

If your office uses an Exchange server then you will need either a VPN or standard dial-up network connection if you don't want to use webmail. (If, however, you use POP3 at work and at home, then you should be able to set up a new account in your Outlook email, enter the work POP3 settings, and access your email that way.) If it is an Exchange environment, then you will need the name of your email server and your normal mailbox login (usually your network user name).
    Regards,
    Rory
    Microsoft MVP - Excel.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

thank you for your reply...the one at work uses an ISP which is probably an exchange server located at a different location. The one at home is a DSL connection to a differernt ISP which has an exchange server (the local telephone company hosts the site). John

Thanks

I think the terminology here might be getting confused. By Exchange Server, we mean "Microsoft Exchange Server," which almost never runs offsite.

Let me assume you checked your account settings at work, wrote them all down, entered them at home as a new, secondary account, and it doesn't work. Can you report the specific error messages that Outlook gives you when you try to send and receive mail?